1 Gang plug sockets

turkish said:
Always happy to help!
socket007.jpg

jampot said:
I was wondering if you can purchase socket fronts where the mounting screws are at the top and bottom?

Maybe you two should exchange e-emails ;)

Sponsored Links
IIRC, one of the houses over the road was built in the 60's and still has a few sockets like that! :p

But they're better built than today's imported shoite. By far.

Sponsored Links
They were in for nearly 50 years, and were still in perfectly servicable condition when they were rewired. Cable was rubber too.

1 single unswitched socket in a bedroom just aint enough.

Yes!

When my sis bought an ex-council house, it had been wired in the 50's. There were two sockets in the house, both singles, naturally. One of those was behind a rad in the main bedroom...

Imagine the train of thought going through the CH installer's mind

"Oooh, Oi'd better tell 'em 'bout tha' there sarcket...."

"Sard it, let's get arn wi the job"

(Forgive the terrible SW accent!!)

I did a rewire of a house in the middle of nowhere for a little old dear when I was an apprentice.

She had 1 light between the kitchen and lounge, 1 on the stairs on a 1 way switch, and 1 in the bedroom.

The only socket in the entire house was a 15A on the CCU :eek:

Lead wiring throughout.

She called us in because the light on the stairs stopped working.

Turns out the insulation had failed, and the ensuing short blew the cable away, while the fuse stayed good :eek: :eek:

(Note to self: Must box up and send off lead cable for Simon) ;)

So she had a broken light and you re-wired her house! :cool: Thats the way to make money! :LOL:

Crafty said:
So she had a broken light and you re-wired her house! :cool: Thats the way to make money! :LOL:

Wait till Rogue Traders hear of that one ;)

Watch out for 2 men in black on a motorbike :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
(Note to self: Must box up and send off lead cable for Simon) ;)

I rescued a short piece of lead-sheathed from a re-wire I did in Staffs recently.

I then dug some old rubber cable (T&E & DI singles) out of my loft (left in situ by the **** that "rewired"- another story!!) and they were fixed onto a display board to show other sparks what to look out for when quoting for rewiring work.

They don't have my age or experience you know, my dear!!

I pulled a bit of lead sheathed cable out a few months back that was the equivelent of triple and cpc (obviously no actual cpc, as the lead was the cpc the same as with the two core stuff), was the normal red, yellow and blue which I thought was a tad odd, thought one of the phase colours had changed back in the mists of time sometime)

When we did a lot of ripping out of the house, we ended up with quite a box of lead cables...didn't get much for it from the scrap dealer tho :(

Also had an old socket thing, think the whole thing was round in shape, and the plug had a fuse in that was like fusewire with a bit of tissuepaper around it

House was originally built in 1903 and various extensions have been added on later, was rewired in the late '80s / early '90s by the previous owner I beleive, all I can say is the workmanship on the old lead stuff was far better than the pvc thats drapped all over the ****ing place... (along with the old oddity that makes you roll your eyes and wonder what he was smoking at the time!)

My parents moved into a house in '78 - it had been re-wired several times with traces of old PVC, Rubber, no lead but the oldest was E-shaped wooden mouldings (with lid) and inside were cloth covered conductors! These conductors were still in use on the landing where they ran up though the old gas pipe in the centre of one of the newel posts!

I presume this is older than the lead!

IJWS15 said:
but the oldest was E-shaped wooden mouldings (with lid) and inside were cloth covered conductors!

The original "mini ducting" often with a decoration pattern on the exposed face and a lot easier than chasing into stone walls. Much better than clip front ducting.

RF Lighting said:
Here's a challenge:

First person to post a photo of an old brown socket wins a weekend away with Mod Rupert. :confused:

brownsocket.jpg

Yay I win my own competition! :LOL:

Come on Rup, are you ready for that weekend :eek:

+++++++++
Do It Yourself.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back