1 way switch to 1 way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1 way switch and i want to replace it with a one way dimmer switch which has a metal piece you touch to activate it.

Inside the back there are 2 red wires (1 connected to "com" and the other to "1WAY"), 1 black wire which is connected to a plastic junction box and is unused and a green wire attached to the metal back box.

the dimmer switch has 3 connection points. 1 marked live with a down arrow, 1 marked S and another marked with a wavy line with an arrow pointing upwards.

So basically - what ges where ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
That first diagram, no?

VarilightInstructions.gif

Sponsored Links
Connect the red (com) wire to 'Live' and the other red (L1) to wavy line. Ignore S

what should i do with the black wire if anything and do i need to earth the switch as it has a metal part you touch ?

The metal back box still needs an earth connection, whether the switch does or not.

If the switch has an earth terminal, fit a short length of 1.0mm² sleeved to the box earth terminal & connect to the switch.

Tuck the black away - it is not needed. If there's not enough room for the block, remove it & tape up the end of the black securely.

If the black wire isn't used then leave it as it is. If the item has an earth terminal then it needs to be earthed, if it doesn't have an earth terminal then it doesn't.

Leave the black cable in its terminal block, and leave the earth connected to the backbox. (You'll only need to connect the earth to the switch if there's a terminal for it, which I don't think there is, if it's a plastic switchplate.)

if it is not earthed would it still work ? I ask as i connected the dimmer with the com in the live and the 1WAY to the wavy line and it didn't work. I then switched them round (atleast i'm sure i did) and it still didn't work.

According to the diagram above (Securesparks post) if you connect your permanent live to the down arrow and your switched live to your up arrow squiggly line then it should work.

Cool. How would i know if it has an earth connection ? It's just that with the dimmer having a metal part on the fascia i don't want to end up on the other side of the room ! Also, if i have wired it incorrectly, would i get a shock ?

Possibly. Does the switch have an earth terminal?

Read number 5.

Blo*dy hell, haven't you read the instructions at all??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back