1 way switch to 1 way dimmer switch

I understand what your saying but i'm confused with the "dimmers with a metal front plate." As my dimmer has a metal touch device, is this classed as a "metal front plate" even though the rest of the front plate is plastic ? I'd rather check than get it wrong.

Sponsored Links
No! Don't use tape to terminate the black wire!!! :eek:

If your light worked with the original switch as you described, then your dimmer should work now! :confused: Did you buy it new?

No, the small metal circle you have to touch does not mean you have a metal switchplate. If the rest of the switchplate is plastic it probably doesn't need earthing. I only say 'probably' because I cannot see it for myself. If there is no earth terminal then don't earth it. And DON'T connect to 'S', in case you were wondering.... ;)

Yes from B and Q. I thought that was what you did and thought that was what i had done but maybe not. Just wanted to check as there are metal contact points on the front and didn't want to get a shock

Sponsored Links
I'll have to wait until the morning to check as girlfriend in bed now and will go mad if i turn electric off. I will post tomorrow to let you know. Many, many thanks for your help ;)

I can't see the fault in taping up a disused conductor.

Does the switch have an earth terminal?

If you're not sure what it looks like, maybe you should not be doing this in the first place!

It's just that number 5 in the instructions says it needs an earth.

Call an electrician.

I can't see the fault in taping up a disused conductor.

Do you really do this? What if it's live?

No.5 says "dimmers with a metal front plate must be earthed!

Also whilst i have some experts on hand, i have got 1 of those screwdrivers that lights up but i lost the instructions. Do you know of a post i can look at or can you tell me ?

Just put the blade end on the terminal you're testing and your thumb on the end of the handle. It'll light up if there's voltage, but won't tell you how much voltage. I hate these testers. They're potentially dangerous because they get misused. I prefer the 'Volt stick' which doesn't require contact and has no metal parts.

How can you potentially misuse it so i don't and could i use this possibly to determine the live feed for my dimmer switch or is that what you mean by misuse ? Also, how does it work so you don't get shocked ? Is there an earth in the driver itself ?

If you use it to open tins of paint etc, or making holes in the wall, you can damage it, possibly exposing the user to mains voltage. There is no earth connection; a small current goes through your body which is limited by a device in the handle. If it's in good condition, then by all means use it to test the live cable in your lightswitch. You sound pretty unsure of electrics, so be careful what you're doing. This should be a simple job though. Fit the dimmer with the power off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back