1 way switch to 1 way dimmer switch

:eek: haha.

It's our 1st house so just getting to know what's what regarding DIY. I've pretty much changed all the other switches, lights and installed single to double sockets but this 1 threw me as not a single wire in the house is labelled and the metal circular disc worried me regarding getting a shock.

Also the last owner seemed to think he was a "Bob The Builder and Jack Of All Trades" but was so so wrong !

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do with a neon test screwdriver, bin it. There is something inherently wrong with the concept of using ones own body as an earth path for testing mains voltage!!

You know, that's why i've never used it. Seems a bit daft to trust a bit of plastic and then to touch the exposed metal to see if there is electricity there eh !

If you don't trust the screwdriver tester, use a multimeter. They're better because you can test for actual voltage and you can check for a neutral too. And you can get one for £7.99 For a few more quid you can buy a voltstick which are a great way of quickly checking for voltage.

Sponsored Links
Have a look here for a step by step guide to fitting a dimmer.
//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:adddimmer

Voltsticks are a good indicator, and very handy for fault finding, but I still wouldn't trust one with my life.

If you ask at your local police station they should have a special bin for your neon screwdriver.

neonamnesty.jpg

sparkyspike said:
Do you really do this? What if it's live?

No.5 says "dimmers with a metal front plate must be earthed!

1. OK, What's the difference between putting a chocblock on the end of an unused conductor or taping it up?

2. Yes, and the OP implied his frontplate was metallic!

HI, sorry i was so long.

The dimmer switch didnt work cos it was a slave unit so no wonder. Haven't bought the correct one yet but don't i feel stupid ! Thanks for all your help though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back