10kW Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I have been trying to find a definate answer to a problem. I have a 10kW shower that should draw 43.5A. I have read on another site that this will need 16mm cable. I also read that 10mm cable is rated to 53A. Please can anyone clear up these issues.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
There is not set rating for a particular size of cable.

It's safe current carrying capacity is determined by factors such as the length of run, wether the cable is burried direct into plaster or run in conduit, trunking, thermal insulation, the ambient temperature of the route, etc.

Please provide us with as many details of how the cable will be run from the CU to your shower position.

thanks for prompt reply.

the cable is no more 10m in length and runs mainly through the loft space on the beems under the insulation, this can be moved if necessary. There is a maximum of 1m under plaster. The ambient temp i would say is normally 15-20 degrees.

Hope this is all the info you need

Kind regards

You need to get the cable up and out of the insulation.

even 500mm of cable in thermal insulation requires you to derate its current carrying capacity by 50%

If you can clip the cable so it is not in contact with the insulation then 10.0mm² cable will be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
You need to get the cable up and out of the insulation.

even 500mm of cable in thermal insulation requires you to derate its current carrying capacity by 50%

If you can clip the cable so it is not in contact with the insulation then 10.0mm² cable will be sufficient.

OP says cable is "under" the insulation, not buried in it.

Sheathed cable above thermally insulated ceiling with cable in contact with thermally conducting surface - ie the ceiling (see footnote to Ref Method 4) is Installation Method 15 (table 4A1).

Current capacity of 10mm T&E method 15 is 47A (table 4D5A)

All other derating factors being lower or equal, 10mm is OK and use a 45A MCB

Dave,

Please can you tell me where to find the information in your refs. They dont make sense to me.

Regards Darran

The info he is referring to is in BS7671 (aka the IEE regs) and in the On Site Guide.
By the sounds of it you are installing a new circuit, please also read up on part p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back