10mm copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating my shower-room after a leak. This has given me the opportunity to rectify some substandard work done by a tradesmen 8 years ago.

One of the things that I want repaired is the pipework for a towel rail.

The tails always looked like a 2nd rate job and on removing the floor tiles (due to a toilet cistern pipe leak) I've discovered the alterations to the flow+return pipes were bodged also.

As you can see in the picture, the flow & return are 15mm copper reducing to 10mm for the tails. All the rads in the house have 10mm tails so I presume that this arrangement is throughout the house.

I had a plumber out to quote and the first thing he said was that he didn't work with micropore pipe. He didn't carry any of the tools required for it, etc.

He proposed installing 15mm tails from the 15mm flow & return pipes. These would emerge straight up from the floor and into the towel rail as opposed to emerging from the walls.

towel-rail.JPG

He said that 10mm tails always look shoddy because the pipe comes in coils and so is never perfectly straight when installed.

My questions:

Are there likely to be any negative consequences to replacing the 10mm tails with 15mm? I'm not a C/H engineer but I imagine pressure and flow-rate will be altered.

Can you buy straight lengths of 10mm pipe?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
plumber with no tools for microbore.I would be much more worried about his ability than a few bits of 10mm pipe.

Sponsored Links
I think personally it may just slightly improve the flow round the circuit if you swop all the 10mm to 15mm,just a thought.

Mind you what with assortment of pipe fittings and two screws to hold the pipe in place, tube is still copper(y)
Would hate to think what it would be like in recycled milk containers:LOL::LOL:

I would lose that ISO valave and plastic fitting. Bit of chrome 15mm coming up from the floor will look smart. All fittings underfloor being soldered:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back