10mm earth cable, outside run colour?

Doesn't feel quite right though, so I'd like opinions on this.
I don't see how anyone can argue with what John has said - because he's right.

Interesting to note that it is not allowed to identify a protective conductor solely by numbers or letters (except to distinguish between multiple protective conductors) so must be sleeved G/Y.

Sponsored Links
I personally would really be happier if the ends were sleeved green and yellow.
It's not a question of 'being happier' - you MUST do that if you want to be reg-compliant! I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise.
I think sleeving at both ends would give peace of mind, and it would be 'less wrong' and less confusing for the next man.
Again, not just "peace of mind" - but essential if you want to comply with regs! Again, I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise.

Kind Regards, John

I personally would really be happier if the ends were sleeved green and yellow.
It's not a question of 'being happier' - you MUST do that if you want to be reg-compliant! I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise.
I think sleeving at both ends would give peace of mind, and it would be 'less wrong' and less confusing for the next man.
Again, not just "peace of mind" - but essential if you want to comply with regs! Again, I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise.

Kind Regards, John

But you just said you didn't think anyone had any concerns about the ends being sleeved.

I've probably misinterpreted you somehow.

But I think the ends are more important than the middle section.

Though I do take the point about any of the middle section being cut away if one assumes it's 'dead'.

I expect it may be helpful to fit a trace of green and yellow outside, say where the cable passes through the wall.

But it would just look like a repair done to the cable, rather than an identification.

I have misinterpreted you. You DID stipulate that a small token piece of green and yellow should at least be used on the ends.

Apologies, apologies, apologies.

Sponsored Links
Just picking up on John W2's comment about phase colours there have been a number of variations over the years that we still see in paper cable core colouring!
So for the order L1, L2, L3. we see: -
R,Y,B. R,W,B, R,G,B, B,G,B. I've even seen B for neutral in cables dating to before WW2

Did he say "token"? (ICBA to go back and look).

As for the "can it be a different colour outside?" question, do note that the regulations don't even mandate that it be a cable - all that's required is a conductor with an equivalent conductance of Xmm² copper. No reason why the OP should not use stainless steel conduit if he wants. Or bare copper tape.

But you just said you didn't think anyone had any concerns about the ends being sleeved. ... I've probably misinterpreted you somehow.
As I think you have now realised, (per your subsequent post) what I meant was that no-one was particularly concerned about hazards which might exist if the ends were not identified with G/Y sleeving, although to be reg-compliant they would have to have at least a token bit of such sleeving.
But I think the ends are more important than the middle section.
I don't really agree with that - if someone sees an end of the cable connected to an incoming service pipe (at one end) or to the MET (at the other end, if (even in the absence of any G/Y markings) they think it is anything other than a protective conductor, and feel that, because 'it it not live' it is something they can cut and remove, then they really would be daft, probably to the extent of being immune to any 'idiot proof measures' one might try to take to protect people (and themselves) from them!

Kind Regards, John

Just picking up on John W2's comment about phase colours there have been a number of variations over the years that we still see in paper cable core colouring! So for the order L1, L2, L3. we see: - R,Y,B. R,W,B, R,G,B, B,G,B. I've even seen B for neutral in cables dating to before WW2
Yes, I think we discussed that last time I wheeled out my photo. What about the "A", "B" & "C" identifiers on the tails?

Kind Regards, John

Again something used in the past by DNO's
I suppose it doesn't matter what identifiers one uses, so long as one knows the phase order - in that sense A/B/C is as 'obvious' as L1/L2/L3, and much more obvious' than colours. Because of those letter identifiers at the meter, I have partially identified all of the components and circuits in my installation by using those letters - e.g. B.2 is the second sub-main/CU from "phase B" and B.2.3 is the third final circuit originating from that CU.

Kind Regards, John

Run the bonding cable in black egatube plastic conduit attached to your walls - it's both neat and safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back