12mm ply or 6mm hardi backed boerds??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi fellas,
just about to tile my kitchen floor and i have read conflicting advice on the best way to go about it.
I have a T+G floor and have read that 12mm wbp ply is what is best screwed down at 200mm centres, but this may course a height problem at doorways etc, so i have also read that 6mm hardi backer boards is the way to go and this lessens the increase in height but is more expensive?
Just wondering what is the best way to go. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've just done a kitchen floor. It was my first attempt at tiling and I got some good advice on here. Hopefully i can pass on some of the tips I got.

I started with 12mm ply (after reading the "tiling basics" post) but everyone said 12mm wouldn't do and you really need 18mm screwed down every 150mm so that's what I did. 18mm seems pretty solid and definitely significantly stiffer than the 12mm (not just 50% more). I'm going to trim doors and use carpet shims to cope with the height difference.

Not sure about the 6mm backer option. I'm sure someone else will be able to advise on that.

thnaks fred. Did you use 18mm ply straight over tongue and groove floor?

go for the 6mm backerboards.
screw exsisting floor to joists..no deflection.
bal sbr primer across floor then when dry ..30min..up the floor.
cut b/boards to suit..mark up your wall were joists are.
spf floor with 6mm trowel.
lay b/boards leaving 2mm between b/b..screw down with 12mm b/board screws..with marks on wall,then every 150mm.
fiba tape over joints with spf.
tile away. ;)

6mm backerboards are more rigid,stronger..etc..than 12mm wbp ply, they have the same rigidty..etc.. as 15mm and 18mm wbp ply. ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks tic tic and approx how much is a sheet of hardi backer?

dont know what "joe public" pays for it mate i get all tiles/materials at trade. :LOL:
b/boards "joe public" will pay about £12 for 1200x800mm.. ;)

nabby that for the 6mm b/b, mate 12mm slightly dearer..
p.s mate i have only got 6 thank you"s... :LOL: :LOL:

cheers mate :LOL:

if your not in the trade "banter" with them you could get it cheaper "dont be shy to ask" :LOL:

p.s you on the "colin nish" 2 night "your spelling?? :LOL: ;)

as for 12mm wbp ply its your choice..when you get your bag of addy "look" on the back and see what it says?...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back