12v fan in need of new transformer, what to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
xpelair lv100hp about 15watts

it needs a 240 to 12v transformer, to make it worse the fan has 3 terminals -+12v and a switch so it knows when the bathroom lights go off to start its 5 min over run timer.

question is...

1) can i get a trans with 3 terminals, ie one for the switch.
2) most lighting transformers are often AC and do not have the other terminal anyway so they are no good.
3) As the trans is always "on", (the timed-off electronics are on the fan) i need one that is safe, will last, and has low stanby wattage.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% sure on your exact situation with costings etc. But if this was my situation, I would have spent a little time looking for a transformer (like I just have) and then given up and decided to buy a new cheap LV fan with timer, ensuring the transformer specs would match the demand of the xpelair.
With the cost of the time looking for the transformer, and the cost of it itself, I would expect that a new fan altogether would be more affordable.

And you get a spare LV fan that way as well.

But as I say, I dunno your exact scenario..

does look like the cheapest fans with trans can cost about the same as a transformer on it's own ; (

still i still need to figure out what i need?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back