12v system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an off grid system where led lights are run from 12v leisure batteries with light switches.

I have put blade fuses on all of the connections using these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-WAY-STA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f06854cbe

However I was wondering whether it would be safer and neater to use a consumer unit. That way I would be able to have one set of clamps on the batter instead of 3.

Can I use a 240v consumer unit and put different fuses in or do I need a 12v one.

Any suggestions. This is for the tack room at a stables yard not a domestic installation.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you were to install a mains voltage consumer unit, you would use a transformer to step down the voltage to 12V.
I think he was proposing using a CU fed from a 12V battery, not mains power. What I don't know is how standard MCBs perform with DC - do you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have 3 batteries in different locations. Each battery has three sets of led lights running of it via the blade fuses which is messy.

I basically want something that looks like a consumer unit that I can connect to the battery and then feed the individual lighting wires into.

What about a vehicle fuse box?

A domestic CU is not going to be suitible for use at 12VDC.

It seems to me that it is only messy because you have done it messily.

I don't see why it can't be done neatly using vehicle components.

Some wagons did have 12/24 volt circuit breakers normally with two blade connections. ERF and Leyland both used the same system. Durite was where I got most of the extra low voltage stuff.

The 230v MCB did seem to work with 12v but likely the magnetic part would not work correctly with DC so not really a good option.

In-line fuse holders one has to be wary of as in some cases with large fuses the plastic melts before the fuse blows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back