12v thermostat wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I am attempting to build an egg incubator using a12v supply [phone charger] a12v pc fan ...a 60w light bulb 240v and a12v thermostat i puchased to regulate the heat [light bulb].To power the fan and thermostat12v is straight forward but am confused as to where to put the 240v wires to into the thermostat to allow the thermostat to switch on /off normally open.... normally closed ...and common?... a diagram would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Exactly how is this thing supposed to operate? Fan and lamp on at the same time? Lamp on when ambient temperature is low, fan on when it's high? If that latter, you really want to be using separate thermostats to control the high/low set points.

I suggest that you don't do anything involving trying to mix the 12v output on the secondary side of the phone charger with 230v power for the lamp. As mentioned above, either use two stats or control the 230v side of the charger rather than the 12v output.

Is a phone charger going to be up to the job of powering a fan?

Would it not be much simpler to get a 230v fan and 230v thermostat and not bother with the 12v items at all?

From your description it sounds like you wish to connect a 240 Volt supply to a set of contacts that are rated at 12 Volts. That's a very bad idea.

If, and only if, the thermostat is capable of switching a 240 Volts 60 Watts (about 0.3 Amps), the supply would be connected to the common terminal, and the heating load to the NC (normally closed) terminal. The NO (norminally open) terminal would only be used for refrigiration or air conditioning loads, where you want the mechanism to run if the temperature is too high.

If you intend to use the fan for cooling by connecting it to the NO output of the same thermostat, the system will work, but bear in mind there will be no hysteresis - it will either be heating or cooling, with no happy medium in the middle where neither heating nor cooling are required.
In effect, the system would be unstable, always trying to drive itself away from the steady temperature you are trying to achieve.

A second thermostat, set to start cooling a few degrees above the 'heat' thermostat setting would solve that problem.

Sponsored Links
hi all, I am attempting to build an egg incubator using a12v supply [phone charger] a12v pc fan ...a 60w light bulb 240v and a12v thermostat i puchased to regulate the heat [light bulb].
Why did you buy a 12V thermostat to control a 240V load?

I have doubts about your ability to get anywhere with this project if you can make a mistake like that.

Is a phone charger going to be up to the job of powering a fan?
It must be, if the OP is pressing ahead. Surely you'd have to be spectacularly daft not to check that before doing anything else?

Would it not be much simpler to get a 230v fan and 230v thermostat and not bother with the 12v items at all?
Or just buy an incubator....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back