13A socket with USB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering how safe these are, could a usb port potentially get 230/240v across it if a component failed?

Sponsored Links
Across the pins in the USB socket ( where there is normally 5 volts ) ? .... unlikely,

but it is not impossble that both those pins could become Live ( with or with 5 volts between them )

Sponsored Links
Just wondering how safe these are, could a usb port potentially get 230/240v across it if a component failed?
As everyone else has said, the risk is no different, and no greater, than exists with any sort of mains-powered USB chargers. In both cases, it is the quality of the product that matters - and, again in both cases, I would personally keep away from any 'cheap' ones.

I do wonder, however, about the current fashion of installing sockets with USB outlets. A decade or two ago, charging via USB was almost unknown, and who knows what new twist of technology we will be using in a decade or two's time. The children of the 2030s could well be asking "what those funny holes in the sockets are for" :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, yes i was just thinking put one in each bedroom for now, will only buy branded

I think they are more likely to be obsolete in the 2020's

When plug in charger fails it can be unplugged from the 13 amp socket. It is unlikely that the socket will have been damaged.

When the built in charger fails it is not impossible that the socket will have been damaged enough to cause protective devices in the CU to trip. Metal and / or carbon debris from the UPS power module could coat the inside of the socket and cause earth leakage currents. An electrician would be required to replace the 13 socket,

I've put in half a dozen mainly in the kitchen where tablets and phones seem to live. at under a tenner for one with 2.1 and 1.2a USBs I'm not bothered if they become obsolete.

I've put in half a dozen mainly in the kitchen where tablets and phones seem to live. at under a tenner for one with 2.1 and 1.2a USBs I'm not bothered if they become obsolete.
Fair enough - but if they cost under a tenner each, you might possibly have other issues to be bothered about!

Kind Regards, John

I think they are more likely to be obsolete in the 2020's
Possibly, although the start of the 2020s is only just over 3 years away, and even the end of the 2020s only about 13 years into the future!

Kind Regards, John

so they'd be better quality if I bought them from the we saw you coming shop at £20 each.

or let my electrician source them at a trade price for 30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back