15amp Radial????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a radial circuit that is used for all plug sockets upstairs and also in an additional loft conversion (5 double sockets in total). Problem is it trips sometimes when we try and use several things at once e.g. TV, Radio, Alarm clocks, a lamp or two plus a couple of fan heaters. It is always a fan heater or hairdrier that trips it.

When I had a look at the consumer unit I noticed that the fuse is only 15amp.

Can I just replace that with a 20Amp (that seems to be the standard for a radial of less than 50m2???? Will that sort it or is the 15a fuse there for a reason.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you confirm that the cable throughout the circuit is 2.5mm ??

(it might be 1.5mm- although it shouldn't)

15 a fuse will cover 15 x 230 or about 3450w, so with a couple of 1500w + devices such as heaters and hairdrier, the fuse is doing what it should on overload.

1) Changing the protective device for one of a different rating is notifiable.

2) There is more than the cable size to consider - you should do an EFLI test to confirm that a higher rated device will be safe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back