Amps/watts use on a radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During recent works our electrician noticed that half of the power points in our house are on a radial. The radial was originally on a 32amp fuse and for safety reasons the electrician has fitted a 20amp fuse, However, he pointed out that anything in excess of 20amps could trip the fuse. I notice the socket to our computer has a 13amp fuse. Do we need to avoid using sockets that are in excess of 20amps, or does it relate more to the number of kilowatts used at a time? We have had works carried out and are about to move back in to the part of the house where the radial is.

Sponsored Links
I hope the guy mega tested the old radial cabling to make sure that the 32a hadn't 'worn' it.

All sockets are rated at 13A, the 20A fuse will trip if the total load for the circuit exceeds that figure for any length of time.

20A x 230v = 4600 watts. If you wish you could do a quick check of the highest demand for the circuit bu simply adding up the wattage of all devices that could be used at the same time.

So:-

Plasma circa 300w
Couple of side lights 200w
Sky box 100w
Iron 1800w

(figures invented !!)

etc....

4600 watt should be more than adiquate for most domestic use, outside a high demand area such as a kitchen where washing machines, toasters, tumble driers, kettles could all be operated at the same time.

The sparks should have done a quick desigh chek for the circuit and if the load was due to be excessive would have recommeded an upgrade to a 32A ring circuit.

I notice the socket to our computer has a 13amp fuse..

are you sure your PC has a 13A fuse? or that the plug is rated at 13A? I would expect a PC to have a 3, possibly a 5A fuse in it,

All the sockets are able to supply 13A, but only very high usage appliances, ie kettles, heaters etc actually use the full 13A.

Think about a 4 way extension, the plug in that has a 13A fuse in it, but you can power a PC, printer, Speakers etc from the one socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back