15mm to 1" pipe connector? Do they exist?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So at present I've got a cold water tank and it is pretty much useless and lowers the pressure. I wanted to bypass it and thought it would be relatively simple but the inlet from mains is 15mm and the outlet for the bathroom is all 1inch. I can't seem to find a connector to bypass it anywhere? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Copper piping. And hot water is from combined boiler. I really see no need for the cold water tank the kitchen runs straight from mains?

Edit: I believe the 1" pipe is copper I might be wrong, how can I tell?

Sponsored Links
if your house is very old and very large, it might be. Imperial (inch) sizes are measured by internal diameter, and metric copper by internal diameter. Hence 15mm o.d. is about the same as half-inch i.d.

The nearest metric equivalent is 28mm copper and it can be done with a compression joint.

22mm copper is more probable.

I believe the 1" pipe is copper I might be wrong, how can I tell?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-NICKEL-...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item3f3438e0f8

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
if your house is very old and very large, it might be. Imperial (inch) sizes are measured by internal diameter, and metric copper by internal diameter. Hence 15mm o.d. is about the same as half-inch i.d.

The nearest metric equivalent is 28mm copper and it can be done with a compression joint.

22mm copper is more probable.

I believe the 1" pipe is copper I might be wrong, how can I tell?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-NICKEL-...ring_Tools_Levels&hash=item3f3438e0f8[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure on the material. Its definitely 1" outside diameter. Have you got a link on a compression joint that would do this as I can't find one anywhere.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I am not a plumber, so one of the pro's may correct me.

I have worked on 28mm copper and 1" and I think the same olive fitted. If I am mistaken, it may be that a 28mm connector will fit but you need a special olive.

I am not a plumber, so one of the pro's may correct me.

I have worked on 28mm copper and 1" and I think the same olive fitted. If I am mistaken, it may be that a 28mm connector will fit but you need a special olive.

I'll see if anyone else can comfirm as once I cut into it I won't be able to reconnect if it doesn't work. But if I were to try it I can only find reducing connectors. This would be going from 15mm to 28, would it be okay to use a reducing connector?

Is the 1" pipe threaded where it fits into the bottom of the tank?

Edit: The more I think about it this is likely to be 1" copper so forget the above.

28mm compression fittings can usually be persuaded onto 1" copper tube. Might be a snug fit and well definitely won't leave room for the diyers favourite - pointless PTFE.

Give the pipe a buff with a pot scourer and see if it shines up..

Post a picture of the fittings coming off the cistern.

The pain I feel walking into a job after some well meaning pillock has wrapped everything insight on the vein belief that it will do something other than make him look like said pillock is immense.

Why ffs? Just read the instruction ;)

Spend ages sometimes just cleaning the mess up.

I feel your pain. :cry:

It's like a big red flag, warning to expect all sorts of Spanish practices. I hope the resident advocate of these habits doesn't rise to the bait, as he is also on this thread.

Can't go through all that again. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back