15th/16th

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all Just joined up and am seeking some advise on the Reg's. When I was doing my City-Guilds I done the IEE 15th edition and spent 2 years at college doing it whilst on day release. A few years after finishing my App I give up the tools "got fed up with some lousy employers and working on mucky and cold sites over the winter". Anyway it looks like redundancy is on the horizon and I would like to go back to the trade, it seems I will have to do a refresher on the 16th edition and have made some enquiries re this.
What I would like to know from some of you serving aparks is Is there a BIG differance in the old & new, from reading this forum it seems its mainly all about cable runs, voltage drop, positioning of runs in walls earthing and positioning of switches in bathrooms etc. Is a domestic installation for example really that differant from an installation wired according to the 15th edition.
The refersher course is a 10 week course of evening classes plus the exam. Is the exam "hard" especialy for someone whos not on the job. I have ordered the IEE Regs the on site guide and the Electricians guide by John Whitfied to read before I start the course "its all money". So if anybody can give me any advise it would be great.
Thanks in advance :?:

Sponsored Links
There isn't a huge difference between 15th and 16th editions and you could pass a City & Guilds 2381 exam with a little bit of revision.

However you must really get out of the habit of calling the wiring regulations, the sixteenth edition.

The British Standards Institute has taken over the numbering of the wiring regs.

It should be officially known as BS7671: 2001.

In a few years (months) time this will change again into a harmonised European ( BS EN ) number.

There will NEVER be a seventeenth edition (that's the end of the n'teenth edition folks!)

totally agree with Swindons comment about 17th Edition, but for us slightly younger chaps who did our learning in the 80's / 90's could please please someone elaborate on the 15th. :)

Sponsored Links
Didn't mean last post as having a pop at anyone, just meant it as a proper question. How do I know if an installation is more 15th/16th when my regs book don't tell me what the 15th was?

As I said in my original post V Drop, length of cable runs, bonding was only done in the hot press you did'nt have to assume someone was going to stick in a couple of 500 watt lights after you finished the job and if my memory brain cells have'nt been damaged by to much alcohol over the years the first C Breakers switched off the entire consumer unit.
It sounds as you are as much in the dark about the old Regs as I am about the new ones :) Problem is when I read some of the Q&A in the forums there seems to be a fair bit of confusion about protecting cables in walls and earthig etc. I suppose its typical whenever a so called (learned body) put together a set of Reg's theres allways different interpretations, whats all this stuff about running cables down a wall from what I read you can plaster over them without any protection should you use round pvc, oval pvc, steel conduit or cladding whatever that is see what I mean. I presume most sparks have a system to cover most jobs were they can just go in and do the job without worrying about working everything out set runs etc or have I got it wrong. sorry for waffling on a bit but I am on nightshift ;)

It sounds like you know what your talking bout mate, all you need to do is read up on the current regs. It will be easier for you than half the people on site.

You have'nt used The Electricians Guide by John Whitfield by any chance ?? they say its better than the on site guide I have it ordered along with the Regs but I won't get it untill after Xmas

Why does the Brown April 2004 edition of BS7671:2001, have "Sixteenth edition" on the cover then?

I thought the 15th edition required 6.0.sq.mm main bonding, instead of 10.0.sq.mm main bonding as is now the case, as from 2001 onwards.

Can't get into the debate about the (Name) but 6mm was used back to the Board and the main water supply "so its now 10mm ok.." you also installed an earth rod on some installations.AFAI Remember you bonded the hot & cold pipework together in the bathroom but it did'nt have to be bonded to the radiator. Do you now link from these to the radiator and back to the hotpress or what ??? "very rusty on these issues"
Thanks

oops!!!! you guys might know it as something else, but it was the small space that contained the hot water tank along with an emersion heater and some shelves and the woman of the house would put towels and socks and all sorts of items in there to keep em warm. Don't they make them any more ???? Where do they put all that stuff now then !!!

"Hotpress" seems to be a common term for an airing cupboard in Ireland.

Paul_C said:
"Hotpress" seems to be a common term for an airing cupboard in Ireland.

Thats cleared that up then, now what about the bonding I take it the pipework is bonded as per normal but are the radiators in the Bathroom/en suite then bonded back to these or where ??

And yes in Ireland its called the Bathroom/en suite :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back