1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

16 day bathroom project

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by pompeyal, 7 Jul 2010.

1. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    After moving into my house 2 years ago it was about time I dealt with my bathroom, the original room had a bath with a shower over and an awful curtain track around, the sink was located in a recess which was of good quality also the mixer. the shower mixer was of the same quality also and the WC, these items have all been re sited and used again, as the bath was used as only with the shower, this was discarded and a new 1400 x 900 shower tray and enclosure was purchased.

The majority of the plumbing and drainage had to be resited and a new floor fitted.

On removal of the old tiles, the wall finising was in poor condition and had to be scraped back to remove all flaking. The floor also had to be replaced.

Major tiling work for me had to be undertaken and only have one tile I am not pleased with but when the towel radiator is fitted this will not be seen....phew

to be continued........

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Monkeh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is that chipboard under the shower?

3. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, the whole floor is fitted out with water resistant chip board.

4. Monkeh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Never trust that myself.

Nice tiling though.

5. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Continuation.....

I had the floor covering laid professionally with vinyl...

And then fiited the sink and WC....

I have other pictures but too many to include... tonight the towel heater will be fitted and then its finished...

6. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your comment, the tiling was a big job, they were 600 x 300 tiles but due to the design most had to be cut, I purchased all the tools as required and only borrowed a diamond wheel when needed.

7. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its now officially finished, towel heater is on and all is well now I can have the shave I promised myself 4 weeks ago.....

Mirror here I come.......

8. Barbaro55a

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nice job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bon

Bon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looking good!

Just out of interest, what kind of costs were involved with the vinyl floor?

I'm thinking of getting our walk-in shower floor re-done. No matter what type of sealant I use, the grout still stains :mad:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Bon, thanks I am really please the way it has turned out, my floor layer charged £180 all in, the vinyl and laying and the floor was about 4 Sq meters.

11. terence7556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thats tidy and the vinyl floor is a cracking idea

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. alwest197

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    16 days...don't tell my wife....I've been working on my bathroom for 2 years now....new floor, lights, shower, fully tiled, new bath, basin, wc and two towel rads...just the ceiling to finish, lay the underfloor heating, tile over,new door and full length mirror door on cupboard...oh and I've to fit an extractor fan...hmm..maybe I should have paid someone...I'm not allowed on pain of death to do anymore large projects.... so it off to the pub then!! :)

13. terence7556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you cant rush these things :LOL:

14. PingCrosby

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I know this an old post - but i really like your bathroom floor. I want something similar where the vinyl goes up the wall - rather than the norm of being laid flat.

Can you tell me who did the work for you please. Did you have to do any specific preperation prior to it being fittd - eg did you put any formers along the bottom of the floor to establish that nice curved shape?

Thanks

15. pompeyal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The guy who fitted the vinyl was a independent contract floor covering fitter, he suppied and fitted everthing for the floor, vinyl, formers edging strip adhesive etc. A friend of mine gave me his number, he came round with samples, I picked from them what I wanted and he did the rest. The floor was layed over water resistant tongue and grove chippboard floor which was screwed and glued to give a flat even secure base. I would suggest you contact an independant layer in your area who fits industrial floors, have a chat and make a deal. He should have a comprehensive sample selection and quote you for the complete job, if there was any preparation that may be needed to fit the floor he should either quote you for that as well or you ask him what you would need to do prior to the fitting and do that forhim before he arrives. The price he will quote you will obviously depend on the meterage of you floor and the cost of the selected covering etc.