17th Edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Supplementary bonding no longer required in a bathroom, but all circuits to be RCD protected.

I wish they had decided this before I spent most of the morning putting a link between the circuits :evil:

Sponsored Links
Never mind. I misunderstood your post and thought you were implying that you didn't need to fit the supp. bonding because the 17th edition says so.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
But the 17th edition isn't out yet. You still have to work to the 16th edition so your lucky you didn't read that until after you spent most of the morning putting a link between the circuits :p

Davy

:LOL: I posted that part in jest of course. Unless it takes me until July 2008, to finish the job ;)

Sponsored Links
Mighty Quinn, are all the circuits in your bathroom RCD protected? -in what form? (i.e 30ma 100ma, single rcd for all circuits or RCBO's)

sm1thson said:
Mighty Quinn, are all the circuits in your bathroom RCD protected? -in what form? (i.e 30ma 100ma, single rcd for all circuits or RCBO's)

They aren't. I was quoting from an extract of the new regs, as published in the latest NICEIC Connections magazine.

'Every circuit in the special location, including lighting circuits, must have 30mA protection'.

no worries, i just wasnt sure if you meant that your house was already up to spec of 17th edition, so you had wasted time getting it to 16th edition spec.

will be intersting to see how they implement the rcd's on all circuits, hopefully it will drive down the price of RCBO's

If you wired it to 17th spec (even though it's only in PDF draft form) could you cite that as evidence if you got picked up for it not being 16th

Cheers

Richard

r.bartlett said:
If you wired it to 17th spec (even though it's only in PDF draft form) could you cite that as evidence if you got picked up for it not being 16th

Cheers

Richard

Are we not currently working to 16th regs? ;)

If you read the 17th edition DPC then on the very first page you will see it clearly says:

IEE 17th edition DPC said:
WARNING: THIS IS A DRAFT AND MUST NOT BE REGARDED OR USED AS A BRITISH STANDARD.
THIS DRAFT IS NOT CURRENT BEYOND 28 February 2007.

r.bartlett said:
there is no law that requires working to BS7671 in the first place, just some where it is considered the reccomended way of achiveing compliance.

ultimately until/unless it comes to court noone can say for sure if working to a draft of the new version of BS7671 is sufficiant to meet the technical requirements of part P/EAW (depending on if its domestic or commercial).

And what happens if this part of 17th is not included in final document.

Just got the DPC from one of our technical guys. That'll make good bedtime reading.

As usual, there are many grey areas in it. Still. Why can't they take each re-write as an opportunity to take as much ambiguity out of the regs as possible?

The main one I'm talking about is:

Chapter 54. Other metallic water supply pipework shall not be used as an earth electrode unless precautions are taken against its removal....

So, tell me how you can guarantee that? Nothing's permanent. So you can't do it. So why include it??

GRRRR!!!

Well the section of pipe running in your property from the main can not be replaced without your knowledge and permission so you can ensure action is taken to fit a suitable earth before it is removed or request that the old pipe is left in situ with the replacement being installed next to it.

An issue does arise though if no notice is left when the house changes owners...

Edit: If the whole main is replaced with plastic there is a chance the resistance will rise to unacceptable levels which would go un-noticed... so you have a good point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back