18th 544.1.2

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
As I don't have a copy of the 18th - and the only draft document I can find does not say what I thought it did, would someone please be kind enough to post the actual final wording of 544.1.2?

Sponsored Links
Ah - so does it not say this after all?

544.1.2 The main protective bonding connection to any extraneous-conductive-part such as gas, water or
other metallic pipework or service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that part
into the premises. Where there is a meter, isolation point or union, the connection shall be made to the
consumer’s hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be
made within 600 mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.​

Thanks.

I have just read similar elsewhere.

I thought it was going to acknowledge at last that the consumer's side of an insulating section did not require bonding.

We've been through this before. If there's an insulating section then the pipework is not an e-c-p, so the wording of 544.1.2 is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
Agreed - and they have inserted "any extraneous-c-p such as" and removed the referece to an insulating section to clarify that.

I just wanted to know the actual final wording.

Thank you.

I took that wording from the recently publicised on-line copy which shows all the changes from 18th AMD3

Mmmm. 411.3.1.2

Obviously if the insulating part is AT the point of entry, that would be correct as you wouldn't be able to touch the metal pipe.
However that would be difficult to achieve if it refers to the doughnut shaped insulator on gas supplies.
A length of plastic pipe on water supplies would be easier.

If there is a short length of pipe touchable before the insulating section, then, strictly speaking, it should be bonded.

Metallic pipes entering the building having an insulating section at their point of entry need not be
connected to the protective equipotential bonding.​

Seems to me that that final sentence is only for the benefit of people who do not know what an e-c-p is.

Thanks. I have just read similar elsewhere. I thought it was going to acknowledge at last that the consumer's side of an insulating section did not require bonding.
THE DPC showed no change relative to 17th. However, the April 2018 'final draft' showed the following changes, which are exactly reflected in the published version (green is added, red is removed - as compared with 17th):

544.1.2 The main protective bonding connection to any extraneous-conductive-part such as gas, water or other metallic pipework or service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that servicepart into the premises. Where there is a meter, isolation point or unionan insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumer’s hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.

It could be said that it is now even more confusing than before since, although it now sort-of acknowledges that only extraneous-c-ps need bonding, it still talks about bonding after an 'isolation point' - which, if that means the same as an 'insulating section', clearly cannot be an extraneous-c-p!

Kind Regards, John

it still talks about bonding after an 'isolation point' - which, if that means the same as an 'insulating section', clearly cannot be an extraneous-c-p!
Surely that means something which isolates the supply of whatever is in the pipe?

I take isolation point to be the tap.
Oh, maybe - I was thinking of 'electrical isolation'.

In that case, given that it now starts by referring explicitly to extraneous-c-ps, it's now 'alright' (albeit it could be clearer!), isn't it? - since the bit about bonding to the consumer's pipework is over-ridden by that initial bit if it's not an extraneous-c-p (which is what we have always said).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back