1950s gas fires - are they illegal now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're buying our first home which was owned by a gentleman that hasn't changed it since the 1950s.

It's got 1950s style gas fires in all the rooms - the bar type. They look great in my mind but the gas inpsector has condemned them and the gas supply throughout the house!

We will be installing a new gas system over the next few weeks and have assumed that it's impossible to use these fires, or sell them, since I assume they just can't comply with current regulations.

Are we wrong to assume this? Can we use them or can we sell them to someone else who may be able to use them?

Many thanks all!

Sam

Sponsored Links
Kevin

Thanks for your quick reply but I'm afraid I don't know what ffd is. I should say that I'm not a professional!

Is this something that's unique to the states, or are you a plumber over here? I'm in the UK.

Many thanks

Sam

the last i heard from corgi tech a few years ago was that if the fire did not have an fsd but the fire has a rating of less then 14 kw heat input then they were still acceptable for use
i however would always suggest that they should be replaced as they could be potentially dangerous if used incorrectly ;)

Sponsored Links
If they've been condemned by a registered installer the answer is no.

the other problem is you cant fit or supply any gas appliance without the manufacturers instructions

without getting too involved in this exact appliance not having an FSD an an old appliance would not condemn it as it was fitted properly when new so it must only be NCS

kev you are absolutely right :LOL: in this case i would be very wary of working on something that is older than i am, just that someone commented that they might have been condemned as they had no FSD

DIA prob has them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

come to think of it did you get any then :?:

Many a true word spoken in jest :LOL:

As gaspro 1981 said, can't fit without the MI, the problem I have with that is, "They are already fitted"

The other problem of course is how easy it is for an RGI to condemn, an appliance they obviously haven't a clue about.

How simple to check the flue, hoover any dust out and do a spillage test with all the doors and windows shut.

Whether the fires have been converted to NG is another story, but any competent RGI with gas fire acs should be able to answer that.

That age Very likely cannon k20 series probably fitted into letterbox openings.
Firms will buy these up (then repair) as there is a market for retro look , trouble is finding them.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll double check the report we received from the gas inspector - I have a feeling though that it's the installation / nature of the appliance rather than any fault that has developed with the appliance over the time. However, I don't know for sure - I think it's something to do with it burning oxygen from inside the room rather than from the chimney if that makes any sense?

Anyway - I'll rip them out and see what we can get on e-bay or maybe store them if we can't get much money. It does seem a shame not to use them because they're in mint condition and quite nice design styles in my mind.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Cheers

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back