gas fire condemed!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone this is my first post,

i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my gas fire,

when we flooded in 2008 we had a new fire place fitted (cast iron) and a inset
fire,we didnt use the room for a lot of years but the wife decided to open this up again.

we called out a gas fitter to service the fire and he condemed it, the reason for this was because there is wooden battens and plaster board around the surround and he said that this can be a fire hazzard.

i have reported this to gas safe and they have contacted the fitter he said that all he did was connect the fire he didnt fit the surround so he isnt to blame.

i have the paperwork from the job he did and it says that he did a flue check.

gas safe are saying that they will only come out if the fitter is with them and the builders havent replied to gas safe yet

just wanted to hear from you guys is this illegal and what would you recomend i should do to get this moving quicker as it has been 4 weeks now, not to mention all the money we have spend doing the room up.

sorry this was long winded but we are rally getting fed up with the lack of progress.

thanks for reading

Darren

Sponsored Links
Which was fitted LAST the Fire or the Surround?? Who fitted the Surround?
It could well be that the Installer that fitted the Fire IS NOT to blame

It would be inappropriate to make any comment without all of the facts ;)

Hi thanks for replying the surround was fitted first but what i am asking is would the fitter of checked the flue before connecting the fire, as he has signed to say he has checked the flue, as you can see the plaster board and battens if you just look up, i just want to get this sorted for xmas

Darren

sorry boilerman the builders fitted the fire, are wooden battens and plaster board dangerous behind a cast iron fire surround ??? if so it begs the question why they fitted them in the first place

thanks for reading

Darren

Sponsored Links
The guy who connected and commissioned the fire is responsible for making sure the installation is correct. If the wood was there when he commissioned the fire then he is at fault.

plus unless the builders were GSR then they were working illegally

It is a standard practice to fit the cast using timber, just inside the perimeter of the cast.

A bigger worry is the cost of using a carpy inefficient inset tray gas fire

Thank you to you all for your answers

i will speak to gas safe again

Darren

gas safe are saying that they will only come out if the fitter is with them and the builders havent replied to gas safe yet

That is odd. They normally invite the RGI, but he doesn't HAVE to attend.

Visits sort of fall into 3 caegories:

Complaints, whic is yours, where a client has concerns over an installation

Post appliance registration visit: where an apliance is registered, the client
recieves a compliance certificate, and the client is invited to put their name in the hat to have the job inspected. A visit is not guaranteed.

Both of these, the RGI does nave to attend, but is normally invited (although I have had a few post registration visits where I did not know anything about it until I got en email saying all is ok!)

Routine inspections: Every few years or so, we have to show the inspector some jobs completed. This visit is obviously one where the RGI has to be present.

I explain all this, as there has probabkly been a misunderstanding, and they defo should visit without the RGI being present. The misunderstanding may be cleared up when you phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back