1960s Bungalow - air vents in walls above concrete floor letting in draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a 1960 house - the living room has a modern vented gas fire.

In the wall near the fire is a vent that goes straight outside and let's in a howl of cold air. It's above the floor level (solid concrete floor anyway) I've also noted two more in the kitchen inside an airing cupboard - again well above floor level.

Are these left overs from the days of open fires / designed to let out natural gas and smoke? Or are they ventilating the cavity wall and the inside of the house?

Can I block them up and remove them as they let out quite a lot of heat at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Have you definitely got cavity walls?

If they are then fine block them up, but if not, you'll need to leave them, you can get vent covers where you can adjust how much air you want to flow through, even closing them off completely.

Have you definitely got cavity walls?

If they are then fine block them up, but if not, you'll need to leave them, you can get vent covers where you can adjust how much air you want to flow through, even closing them off completely.
Will double check in the day light tomorrow, but I am fairly sure they are. If it isn't a cavity wall is the sole purpose of the vents to avoid damp inside the room?

If that's the case I'd be concerned as I've so far not seen these vents in any of the other rooms (aside from the kitchen) but will fully check to confirm!

Will double check in the day light tomorrow, but I am fairly sure they are. If it isn't a cavity wall is the sole purpose of the vents to avoid damp inside the room?

If that's the case I'd be concerned as I've so far not seen these vents in any of the other rooms (aside from the kitchen) but will fully check to confirm!

Usually, but the kitchen is probably the main point where damp and condensation will be created other than the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Are these left overs from the days of open fires / designed to let out natural gas and smoke? Or are they ventilating the cavity wall and the inside of the house?

Probably they are leftovers from the open fire days, but more investigation will be needed to be certain. The vents were not to let gas and smoke out, rather they were to provide combustion air to the fire. The problem with open fires, was that they would draw their combustion air in usually from the back of a room, causing those in the room to feel a cold draught on their backs. An air vent near the fire, helped avoid that situation.

My house had large vents in the kitchen, the small bedroom, the utility and the bathroom. The problem, back then, was the amount of moist air produced in a house, from cooking and drying clothes, plus the air demands of open fires. Having dealt with all of those problems, I have done away with all of those vents.

You need to consult a registered gas fitter, or ask in the heating forum, as the vents may be required for the gas appliances in the living room and kitchen.

You can get draught less vents.

You need to consult a registered gas fitter, or ask in the heating forum, as the vents may be required for the gas appliances in the living room and kitchen.

You can get draught less vents.
Thanks. Will check and confirm, currently the only gas appliance is a gas fire/ back boiler in the living room so the kitchen will likely be okay to remove.

Recently bought a 1960 house - the living room has a modern vented gas fire.

In the wall near the fire is a vent that goes straight outside and let's in a howl of cold air. It's above the floor level (solid concrete floor anyway) I've also noted two more in the kitchen inside an airing cupboard - again well above floor level.
That'll be a larder - when built. Block them no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back