1992 Bentone Electro Oil Burner EOGB churning out soot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Was just out a job there where the boiler flue is churning out black soot and blackening the wall.

The burner is a 1992 Bentone Electro Oil (serial No 031201000010039 (unless info!!). Has a danfoss pump fitted and a riello Capacitor!!!

I was recently called out to bleed this burner and i re set the burner pressure to 8 bar.

Basically the owner has noticed that the boiler is now spewing out soot and the wall is blackened. He is "relatively" certain that this has started happening after he ran out of oil. I checked the flue as well and it has large holes just below the terminal so this will defo need to be replaced.

He assures me that he hasn't touche the air adjustment. Is this a little red arrow at the top left corner of the burner?? I don't ahve the manual for it yet.

What else should i be looking for on the job??/ How can you do a smoke test if the flue is faulty???

As always any help.advice would be brilliant

Grill

Sponsored Links
First question to ask the customer is "When was the boiler last serviced?" Next question is "Has a new burner nozzle been fitted?"

I serviced the boiler myself about 8 mths and i checked the nozzle as well and it is all clear.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always told that PJ oil burner nozzles should be changed yearly. You would not know if it was worn by looking at it. Sounds like it is worn and there is too much oil being pumped into the combustion chamber hence the sooty burn.

Sponsored Links
I hear what you are saying but the nozzle isnt a year old yet???

I have seen some nozzle totally blocked up and still burning sweet. This one still looks brand new. Take on board you cant tell by looking at it.

Before i started servciing myself i had a Sterling burner, which i think this is and it started doing the same thing. The guy just came in and whacked in a new burner, after checking everything and changing the nozzle.

Ill stick a new nozzle in it but as this has only happened in teh last week and everything was working fine before i adjusted the pump pressure im not sure this is the problem. Will try turning down teh pump pressure to see if that helps??

Grill

You need to remove all the baffles from the boiler, clean them and check they are in good condition and that they are seated correctly. Clean combustion chamber and flue ways. Clean magic eye.Fit new nozzle. Reassemble.
Set oil pump to 100 psi. Fire boiler, take smoke test, bearing in mind you may have some loose soot still in combusion chamber so wait for that to clear. Set air to get a 0-1 smoke reading.
Take combustion reading.
Take another smoke and combustion reading after refitting front panel of boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back