1997 Saxo steering woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a '97 Saxo 1.1i and I've got a few problems with the steering. Basically, the car pulls left but looking at the rod ends, it seems that the offside one does not end in the same place as the one on the nearside. The rod-ends have been replaced so I don't think it ought to be the tracking.

Would I be right in thinking that I've possibly got a knackered steering rack? If so, does anybody know how much a replacement is likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
Has the tracking been checked since the rod ends were changed?

The steering rack should be centralised when the car is steering straight ahead. Usually means the track rod ends are similarly screwed on both sides. Seen where the steering wheel has been repositioned on the column to "correct" bad fitting. Tracking should then be adjusted by adjusting both ends equally - not just one side - easier but lazy way!

Sponsored Links
hi rich-dont assume tracking correct, just cos youve had new track rods, or ends, it still has to be done, and few garages do it- they would simply count the turns the old part rotated to come off then rescrew on as many times with new part- it doesnt matter that threads not equal, give me a call if necessary- get it tracked using a 'plate' not lasers- theyre for dicks, also check tyres- theyre the no.1 cause for pulling as long as track correct- kind regards, tommy 07971 978044

Back