1999 VW Polo - electric windows problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.

The electric windows on my front passeger side stopped working. There is no noise of a motor kicking in when the switch is pressed and the driver's side window works fine.

Maybe as there is no sign of a motor going round that the motor needs replacing? I've heard these can lock and can be unjammed by tapping them - how can I do this?

Or I suppose it could be an electric problem? Are the passenger and drivers side run on seperate systems?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
blakor said:
Hope someone can help.

The electric windows on my front passeger side stopped working. There is no noise of a motor kicking in when the switch is pressed and the driver's side window works fine.

Maybe as there is no sign of a motor going round that the motor needs replacing? I've heard these can lock and can be unjammed by tapping them - how can I do this?

Or I suppose it could be an electric problem? Are the passenger and drivers side run on seperate systems?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Hi im a mechanic and sounds like the motor has packed up. hope that helps

check the motor is getting a live feed to it when the switch is pressed first. If it is, then the motor is shafted, if not look for broken wires where the rubber sleeve between the door and door post are. Failing that, try the switch

Thanks for your help - will check for broken wires.

If I need to replace the motor - where's the best for parts? A friend has recommended ebay.

Also, am not great with car repairs - is it an easy job to fit the motor? How do I get the inside panel off the door?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Ebay will probably come up with the motor if it's needed, otherwise www.gsfcarparts.com will be able to sort one.

Its can be a complete pig of a job if you don't know what you're doing, so will be worth getting a haynes manual as i'm sure the whole window assembly has to come out

if the interior of your car is quite dirty it can cause the contacts on the switches to burn out, used to happen on mk3 golf s a lot. pull the switch apart carefully, clean the brass contacts if they look like they have melted use a soldering iron to blob a bit of solder on them.

If the topic starter doesnt mind i would like to ask a similar question.

Just bought a 95 polo so its the same mark. No electric windows, so i was wondering is somone knew how much it would cost to get them fitted upfront for driver and passenger. Hopefully not to much :)

Im not sure if the 1.6L which i have comes with central locking, im going to see it on wednesday. Does anyone know if it does and if not how much it would take to get central locking on this car?

Thanks.

I am not familiar with the Polo but, surely, the window motors will be protected by a fuse. Have you checked the fusebox and tested the relevant fuse ?

Wallis89 said:
Just bought a 95 polo so its the same mark. No electric windows, so i was wondering is somone knew how much it would cost to get them fitted upfront for driver and passenger. Hopefully not to much :)

Im not sure if the 1.6L which i have comes with central locking, im going to see it on wednesday. Does anyone know if it does and if not how much it would take to get central locking on this car?

Thanks.

Ebay is your friend for both.
Can get a genuine kit for both for not too much, or the central locking kit (aftermarket / fits all cars) for around £25

^neo^ said:
Wallis89 said:

Thanks.

Ebay is your friend for both.
Can get a genuine kit for both for not too much, or the central locking kit (aftermarket / fits all cars) for around £25

Well thanks very much. So just buy the kit for both parts and take it to a garage? All in all how much would the kit and the labout cost in your opinion.

Thanks.

If you're not in too much of a hurry, look out for a complete original kit off ebay then you'll get the wiring loom, all the switches motors etc. Then it's simply a case of plugging it all in and routing the wires.

I thought all the polo's had c/locking as standard, so might be worth taking off the driverside door card and see if there's any wiring going to the lock mechanism. Will be a blue actuator, 3 wires going to it and a plastic / rubber hose.

If you have that already fitted then it's usually the vaccuum pump in the boot that packs up, and again, they always come up on ebay

Ok like i said im not sure if it has central locking or not yet. Going on saterday :)

If i assume it doesnt how much would a garage charge to do it and hjow much could i save by buying the parts on ebay and then taking those parts to the garage?

I'd hate to think what a garage would charge.
In all honesty, it's more time consuming than tecnical knowledge, so i'd be tempted to buy a haynes manual and do it yourself!
Even if you just get all the wiring into position you'll save yourself a couple of hundred quid

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back