1A Glass fuse for alarm (slow or fast blow?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new house with an alarm system that although in the past apparently worked, currently does not. Looking inside I noticed one of the 20x5mm 1A glass fuses has blown. I wanted to replace this to see if this would cure the problem. Looking around I notice you can buy both fast or slow blow fuses. Is there any way I can get this information off the old fuse or does anyone know which sort to use?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

The alarm company that I do work for specify 'quick blow' fuses.

Maybe a fault caused the fuse to blow, so simply replacing the fuse is not all you may have to do to fix the problem.

Give us the numbers / Letters that are marked on either edge of the fuse, will tell you what you have... (The edge as in normally the silver contact area)

I'm at work at the moment so can't check the fuse. I remember on one end it had a variety of symbols (no letters or numbers) and on the other something like A1T 250V, but I'm really not sure until I check again. I'll post again when I'm home

I agree another fault could have blown the fuse, but I've got to start somewhere. If it blows again or doesn't work then I may just get a new box installed. Anyone know if PIR detectors are always wired the same and so would work with any make of alarm box as I don't want to replace those as well.

Sponsored Links
If there is a problem, maybe getting an 'alarm' fitter out to find and sort your problem would be cheaper than a new panel. ?

Most P.I.R's are ok connected to mainstream panels, ( different installers may use different cores when connecting them sometimes though ).

mobwell said:
I'm at work at the moment so can't check the fuse. I remember on one end it had a variety of symbols (no letters or numbers) and on the other something like A1T 250V, but I'm really not sure until I check again. I'll post again when I'm home

That's if someone hasn't broken in and knicked it !!!! :LOL:

Thanks for the reassurance sparky40 :D

Is there a registered list of approved alarm fitters or do I just look in the yellow pages?

change the fuse first, has any work neen done recently.

if you call an alarm co (yellow pages) ask forst

call out charge

do they know about menvier panels? (not all do)

crafty,
I've recently done some work on external security lights with pirs, but nothing to do with the alarm which has been disconnected from the mains apart from when I tried to see if it powered up. The alarm was broken before the previous owners of 2 years arrived, so I have no idea what the problem is or the code

Can you see a make and model anywhere on the panel?

It is often possible to reset the alarm to the factory defaults, allowing you amongst other things to enter a new user code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back