1st Edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting little document!

Excerpts...

Modern Regs: Placing out of reach.

Bare conductors.....should always be as far out of reach as possible, since the accidental falling on to...such conductors would lead to short circuiting and the consequent sudden generation of heat...

Modern Regs: Competent Person.

The greatest element of safety is therefore the employment of skilled and experienced electricians to supervise the work.

Modern Regs: Determining conductor size.

Should wires be perceptibly warmed by the ordinary current, it is an indication that they are too small for the work they have to do, and that they should be replaced by larger wires.

Modern Regs: Test & Inspect.

The difficulties that beset the electrical engineer are chiefly internal & invisible, and they can only be effectually guarded against by "testing" or probing with electric currents.
They depend chiefly upon leakage, undue resistance in the conductor and bad joints....These defects can only be detected by means of special apparatus, the currents that are either ordinarily or for the purpose of testing, passed through the circuit.

The First Edition was obviously the building blocks for all subsequent editions. Can you recognise any of these??

Every part of the circuit should be so determined, that the gauge of wire to be used is properly proportioned to the currents it will have to carry, and all junctions with a smaller conductor should be fitted with a suitable safety fuse or protector, so that no portion of the conductor should ever be allowed to attain a temperature exceeding 150ºF.

The employment of gas or water pipes as conductors ...should not in any case be allowed.

Where indoor wires are put out of sight...they should be thoroughly protected from mechanical injury.

Interesting!

To secure persons from danger...it is essential...that no one can be exposed to shocks of alternating currents of a mean EMF exceeding 100V or to continuous currents of 200V.

If the pd within any house exceeds 200V, the house should be provided with a "switch", so arranged that the supply of electricity can be at once cut off.

Sponsored Links
AAAAHHHh !!! how nostalgic
Those were the days when everything were so much simpler...No crazy boring ol regs to chew over...No part P... No 17th edition..No Gordon Brown ..life expectancy 65 years...those were the days

Of course we did have Hitler and Stalin and the real threat of annihilation due to the invention of nuclear weapons..But they are just minor irritants compared to what we have to put up with nowadays

Bring back C3' buckle clips ...brass pins and scruits
:)

Bring back C3' buckle clips ...brass pins and scruits

dog cocks!

Back in the day! Its very easy to see how the modern regs have evolved from this document. I'd love to have a look at it in full.

It was one a 4 pages doc I think.

Requirements for safe wiring date back to 1876 when Mr Musgrave Heaphy, an engineer with the Phoenix Assurance Company, started investigating the possible fire risks from the installations of electrical systems. In June 1882, the Society of Telegraph Engineers and Electricians, which later became the Institution of Electrical Engineers, published the Rules and Regulations for the Prevention of Fire Risks arising from Electric Lighting. This first edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations was a simple four-page document, but has now become the technical standard for all installers carrying out electrical installation work. In 1991 it became British Standard 7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations

Sponsored Links
I think the 1st sounds perfectly adequate

apart from the absence of rings and RCBOs, of course.

Thankfully, rings are not mentioned! I know you're a fan, and I can see they have their advantages...It's just that I hate them from the viewpoint of fault-finding and abusability (is that a word?!)

However, although they are not mentioned, methinks 3036's were all the rage in 1882....!!

Of course we did have Hitler and Stalin and the real threat of annihilation due to the invention of nuclear weapons..
Ooh no - not in 1882.

11th & 12th editions went with Hitler & Stalin. Although Stalin came to power during the 7th.

(Not that I blame the IEE for Stalin, you understand)

It would be fascinating to see how many electrocutions / electrical fires there are over the years, plotted along with the IEEE regs. (I guess you'd have to filter for new builds only)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back