1st fix LABC inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process or rewiring my house. I am doing this as DIY under a building notice with the LABC. I had to pay about £70 upfront and give 24 hours notice to start. No plans, no diagrams, just a form on which I had to write 'electrical alterations' in addition to my name, address, etc.

Yesterday I had my first visit from the building inspector as my 1st fix is nearly done. As I am installed 2 final ring circuits, cooker radial, smoke alarm and power to a CU in the shed, I thought he would be here for quite a while looking at my cable routes. Bearing in mind I have solid concrete floors downstairs and that all my cables are in the ground floor ceiling / 1st floor floor, would is surprise you that he did not even go upstairs?? He was in and out in 10 minutes, would have been less if I didn't make him a cuppa and have a chat. All he really wanted to see is the CU and if the water stop tap and gas meter were earthed. By chatting to me, he said he has established I understand what I am doing and understand cable routes, etc.

Next, I ring him when the circuits are ready but not connected to the CU. He will do the necessary tests and connect to the CU for me. Job done, completion certificate in the post. Much easier and less scarry than I was expecting.

Sponsored Links
A good example of working with the building inspectors to get the job done.

They are after all there to help you to do a safe installation. If theyfind they have to enforce conditions they will do so but most prefer to check and if necessary lead and advise how to do it properly. Follow their advice and it will be a mutually beneficial process.

After reading some horror stories on this forum about working with Part P and LABCs, I wanted to show that its not always bad.

Sponsored Links
diy_dude said:
He will do the necessary tests and connect to the CU for me. Job done, completion certificate in the post.

You sure about this? I've never heard of building inspectors actually carrying out works. (For £70, he could finish off some of my rewires!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back