2 Dimmer switch & single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help needed please!!

2 cables coming into box, 2 Red, 2 Yell, 2 Blue.

2 Reds I have put in seperate commons
2,Blues I have put in seperate L1's
2,Yell's I have put in to seperate L2's

The problem is one button should turn both lights on, one button should just turn 1 light on.

Only the button that turns both light on works, what have I don't wrong?

One last point there is a single switch across the kitchen that also should turn the one single light but that don't work either!!

Any ideas? :confused:

Sponsored Links
So, you are trying to say that you did not make a note of where the wires went, on the old switch? :rolleyes:

If you look at the wires in the single switch across the room, what wires are on what terminals on that one??

So, you are trying to say that you did not make a note of where the wires went, on the old switch? :rolleyes:

If you look at the wires in the single switch across the room, what wires are on what terminals on that one??

Yeah, that's about it mate!!! :oops: :oops:

The single switch is red in common blue in 1, yell in 2, i copied this but it still don't work..

Sponsored Links
I'm confused by what you mean when you say that one button should turn both lights on, and one should just turn one on - without a rather complicated arrangement you can't easily make one switch control two lights, and another control just one of them completely independently of each other...

Do you mean that one switch is a 'master' that turns on one light, and then supplies power to the other switch for controlling the second?

Rebuke, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Double Dimmer Switch,
1 of the switches should turn both light on.
1 of the switches just turns 1 of the lights on

Second single switch located across the kitchen will as you say act as slave and can control the single light.

Mate, that's what my neighbour tells me, that said I haven't seen his working!

For what you describe to work, you'd need some sort of control system, as otherwise the power would run back through whatever cabling you have when you turn the single one on, and cause the other to light up anyway.

All you could have without some sort of control system (I think anyway), is one switch which chooses whether the second light is controlled by the first, or by a separate switch.

Diagnosing this one remotely is going to be very tricky, unless you can trace all the cabling and identify what goes where - I suspect you may have to get an electrician in who can figure out what's going on with appropriate test equipment etc...

For what you describe to work, you'd need some sort of control system, as otherwise the power would run back through whatever cabling you have when you turn the single one on, and cause the other to light up anyway.

All you could have without some sort of control system (I think anyway), is one switch which chooses whether the second light is controlled by the first, or by a separate switch.

Diagnosing this one remotely is going to be very tricky, unless you can trace all the cabling and identify what goes where - I suspect you may have to get an electrician in who can figure out what's going on with appropriate test equipment etc...

Mate, ignore the second switch for a moment.

2 cables with 2 Blues. 2 Reds, 2 yellows coming into a 2 gang dimmer switch, i can only get 1 button to control both lights at a time!

You may be right, might need a electrican, thanks anyway mate

Each cable has 3 cores, red, yellow and blue. Make sure you haven't used a core from the wrong cable when you wired each switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back