2 doorbells off 1 transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Friedland 8volt 2 amp transformer to run my 2 Byron 771 doorbells, but it dosent seem to have the power to operate both bells, I was given a Byron 778 to put in place of one of the 771's but still the same. today I bought a Byron 1200 underdome which works great on its own but as soon as I connect either a 778 or 771 they just click.

I have wired them in series as I didnt want to run two sets of wire from the bellpush and transformer. I'm tempted to buy another byron 1200 but I'm concerned this wont work either. I used proper bell wire for this also but seem to be stuck with only 1 bell working, any ideas?

many thanks in advance!

Paul.

Sponsored Links
As you have wired them in series they have only got half of the output voltage from the transformer across them, they need to be wired in parallel although the transformer may not be able to power two sounders.

thanks for the quick replies, I bought a 2 amp transformer which says for 2 doorbells

I will try this a little later! and post back!

Sponsored Links
thanks again! this worked ok,

the only thing the lightup bellpush does'nt light (the Mrs likes this bit) the bulb is ok any ideas?

I will draw a diagram and try to post up how my wiring is.

That doesn't show whether you have, or have not, connected both conductors from the transformer to the terminals in the switch.

If the bellpush doesn't light up but pressing it causes the bells to sound, then either the lamp is broken, or the lamp is not connected to the terminals properly.

That doesn't show whether you have, or have not, connected both conductors from the transformer to the terminals in the switch.

thanks for the reply, I'm sorry I dont really understand what you mean there.

One side of the Transformer goes to the switch and then onto the bell the other side of the transformer goes to the other terminal on the bell the other bell is then wired terminal 1 to 1 and terminal 2 to 2 first to second bell.

I also tried this way but no light either

I have exactly the same setup with 2 bells and an illuminated push, and it works just fine. There's no reason why it shouldn't, if wired as per your first diagram.

Your attempt at the second setup may have put the push directly across the transformer's output, which certainly wouldn't do the switch contacts any good, and may somehow have damaged the lamp as well.

As you don't really seem to understand series and parallel circuits all that well, it might be best to revert to your original wiring that was known to work with one push and one bell, and see if the push lights up.

can you double up on the wire at all??
your diagram doesn't work for me lol

are both wires broken by the bell push

had this problem with the point motors on the model railway using phone wire
the feed went out with the wires like a mushroom from the control panel curving back and stopping short so the current would have to travel around an arc and back again and those motors lacked any uummhh

in the end i just took a direct feed from the return back to the transformer giving the return a shortcut and fully cured the problem

Just spent the last hour or so rewiring and testing, I can report all working perfectly now!

Like this......

Many thanks for all your help guys!

I hope I can return the favour one of these days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back