2 gang conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
excuse the imprecise terms & long Q - to preface I’m ok with the wiring in this case, just a basic Q about starting; currently in place is a 2 gang switch and a fuse switch alongside (for a boiler) - embedded in the wall is one metal box, with two sections for the gang/fuse. I need to install a timer for a combi boiler. I understand the best process is to replace the 2 gang with the timer (which is designed to directly replace a 1 gang switch) and install a 1 gang taking care of the remaining connection. MY PROBLEM IS - can I remove the current 'metal box' easily and what exactly do I need to buy, that will house the 1 gang switch, fuse and keep the timer in place. I think I need a 'metal box' for a 1 gang switch and virtually the same for the fuse and timer. So do I fit 3 'metal boxes' concurrent in the space? What are the boxes called? Where is the best priced place to buy them?

Sponsored Links
Boxes are called 'back boxes' and they come in a variety of depths for different purposes. You can get double 1 gang boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back