2 gang dimmer...........again!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced a 2 way light switch with a 2 gang dimmer. The dimmer has 2xC 2xL1 & 2xL2 & i wired this up the same as the old light switch but it dont work (unsurprisingly)!!

I have a black cable, red cable & white cable. I wired the red into C & looped this to the 2nd C. Red went into L1 & White into L2 (what is the white one btw, i'm assuming its the earth cable but never seen it as white before?) Do i just need to loop the Black & White cables too?

What is the correct combination to get the 2 dimmer switches to be working independantly. I say this because under my current wiring only one of the 2 switches works & when pressed turns on & off one of the lights, thats to say it switches them so the light cannot be turned off.

Thanks for you help in advance!!! :D

Sponsored Links
You need to find the other end of that cable and see where the cores are connected - this might shed some light on the situation. Stop trial and erroring - dimmer switches are sensitive and you could ruin it doing this.

And if you assume the white is an earth, what are you doing connecting it to a switch terminal???? :eek: Only LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE gets connected to a lightswitch. No neutrals and no earths. As it happens, white shouldn't be an earth, but i have never heard of white being used as a core colour in the UK, so i cant help until i know where the wires go.

EDIT: perhaps the white is permenant live, and the other 2 are switched. But still need to know the other end of the cable.

O.K - cheers

I've installed the same dimmer in other properties no problem but my new house had the white cable which threw me I guess as never seen this before & couldnt find any reference to what it was. There is no earth then in the light switch.

Will check out the wiring on the lights themselves & back track from there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The ceiling & wall lights had entirely different coloured cables altogether which wasnt very helpful. In addition the room is on 3 different damn rings. I've no idea how the previous owner has wired it up grrrrrrr
Anyway connected the white & black cables to L1 on each dimmer switch & the red to C on both & it worked a treat

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back