changing 2 gang dimmer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i hope so body can help my son decided to change his 2 gang light switch for a dimmer but did not make any notes of the previous wiring
there are 3 cables
cable 1 blue,yellow,red + earth
cable 2 single red + earth
cable 3 double red + earth
there was a link he thinks between 2 red wires on the old switch

there is a single switch on the opposite side of the room that used to work with the one set of lights tied into the old 2 gang switch now thats not working
the the cable that feeds this is blue,red,yellow
the dimmer switch has 6 terminals c,l1,l2,c,l1,l2, can some body help with what cables go to what terminals
many thanks

Sponsored Links
The three core cable will be wired like for like on both switches so what ever colour goes to come on one switch will also go to com on other switch. The line will go to L1 and lamp to L2.

On switch two the line will be bridged from L1 on first switch to Com on second switch and the second lamp will go to L1 and L2 left with nothing in.

hi all i hope so body can help my son decided to change his 2 gang light switch for a dimmer
Will he be happy with the fact that if the lights are off and he turns them on from the switch they'll come on at whatever brightness the dimmer was set to, and if that's not right he'll have to walk over to the dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
hi guys
thanks for your help
in reply to ban all sheds, yes he would be happy with that

in reply to ericmark
i under stand where the ,red, blue,yellow, go and that the red is the common the same as the other switch but that still leaves a single red cable and a twin red cables .witch one is the common and my son thinks that one red cable was in the same terminal as the blue hope you guys can help

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back