2 gang intermediate switch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

Hopefully some of you more knowledgeable folk may be able to help me out;

I currently have a two gang switch in my hallway - one of the switches acts as a two way for a light over the stairs, the other acts as an intermediate, between two other switches for the main hall light.

I'm in the process of upgrading to metal switches/sockets and am having difficulty in locating a matching intermediate, especially two gang.

I don't require the intermediate switch at all and I don't understand why it was ever installed, just metres from the other two switches for this light - however, my thought is - could I just make the connections that the intermediate side of the switch would make using wago connectors or similar, then wire up a single light switch for the two way I do require, then screw it all in, and the wago connectors can sit behind the single switch faceplate in the backbox?

Note - both the back box and faceplate itself will be earthed so no issues in that respect - just wondering can the internal connections of the switch be replicated using connectors?

Pic attached shows the switches - the intermediate having the four wires.

Thank you in advance - I promise one day I'll have the knowledge to repay some of you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190326_135545.jpg
    IMG_20190326_135545.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20190326_135555.jpg
    IMG_20190326_135555.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
I don't require the intermediate switch at all and I don't understand why it was ever installed, just metres from the other two switches for this light - however, my thought is - could I just make the connections that the intermediate side of the switch would make using wago connectors or similar, then wire up a single light switch for the two way I do require, then screw it all in, and the wago connectors can sit behind the single switch faceplate in the backbox?
With uncharacteristic brevity (for me!) I would say that the short answer to that is "Yes"!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back