2 gang shock / PiR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a 2 gang switch in a downstairs toilet, one switch operates a fan, the other a light. Over the weekend I received a shock from the switch, I removed the cover the following day to check for damp (it was okay) - below is the wiring for reference.

97950-64e19be6333738659097949c423fc5fc.jpg

SWMBO asked if we could replace the switch with a PiR as I purchased a couple of these a while ago and not yet fitted.

The fan is wired through to another isolator switch in the same room. I'm wondering if any of these would be possible?

1) Join the A and B wires together in one side of a new PiR, with the A1 & B1 wires in the other side. I think this would work? My concern would be joining the two loads together on a single switch!?

2) Joining B & B1 together (Fan) and using the isolator as the fan switch (we hardly ever use the fan). Then wire A & A1 to each side of the PiR?

I'm thinking 2 is the best/safest option, rather than joining the wires behind the switch (not sure if that would be easily possible to do safely in the space?), I'm wondering where these wires would typically route back to, the isolator or fan?

Any suggestions / comments appreciated!?

LN

Sponsored Links
My advice is to not even consider installing those PIRs anywhere other than your bin.

Should you decide for some reason you do want to fit them, they likely need a neutral, which you do not have at your switch.

The question here has to be - why did you get a shock?

There's something that appears to be red tape where the wires enter the back box to the right.

It all looks a bit old and done in a strange way.

If you're getting shocks then I would strongly advise you get an electrician to check the state of the wiring.

@Iggifer I have had a very similar PIR installed in the kitchen which has worked flawlessly for the past two years. They directly replace a standard switch and do not need a neutral. However, if I could find some higher quality UK products, I would swap it from atheistic POV. Know where I could purchase any?

@sparkwright The red in the top right is the red sleeving around the cables. The installation is approx 20 years old and probably has not been touched since it was installed. I think the shock is likely due to a) faulty switch b) kids switching with wet hands c) combo of a+b

What looks strange about the wiring? The jumper between the two sides of the switch?

Sponsored Links
Those PIRs are not CE marked, and therefore probably don't meet European safety standards.

Those PIRs are not CE marked, and therefore probably don't meet European safety standards.

I agree there is no CE mark but that doesn't automatically mean they are unsafe (most electronic goods are built in the Far East today)

However, if someone could point me to a similar PIR product which directly replaces a switch and is CE marked, I would happily throw these away and purchase those!?

That wiring looks like double insulated singles and is nearly certainly more than 20 years old..

Them PIR's are less than £2 and are not for the UK or EU market!

Do you really expect to get a electrically safe PIR for that amount of money!? Your real concern is why the back box became live and as such you need to get an electrician round to investigate your issue.

Them PIR's are less than £2 and are not for the UK or EU market!

Do you really expect to get a electrically safe PIR for that amount of money!? Your real concern is why the back box became live and as such you need to get an electrician round to investigate your issue.

Price /= quality! however I am more than happy to purchase alternative switches if someone can show me where to get them?

Looking at the pic, the back box looks to be insulated from the switches and the screws are seperate, what makes you think the back box became live and how would it cause a shock!?

Last edited:
However, if I could find some higher quality UK products, I would swap it from atheistic POV. Know where I could purchase any?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNWAPIR.html

Other makes and other suppliers are available.

I think the shock is likely due to a) faulty switch b) kids switching with wet hands c) combo of a+b
It's a plastic switch - what did you get a shock from?

Price /= quality!
True, insofar that there isn't always a high degree of correlation.

But these are equally true:

1. Cheap ≠ quality
  2. It is illegal to sell or import non-CE marked electrical goods
  3. There is more than enough evidence that buying cheap, illegal, Chinese electrical carp is dangerous to convince anyone with any sense not to do it, and to convince anyone who cares about his family not to do it.

...Still waiting to find out what exactly gave the OP his shock on the non conductive plastic switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back