2 gang shock / PiR

None, that's not the point. Production control ensures that all the products are within a defined spec, and details the sampling and testing that will be performed during production and the actions that will be taken if any products are found to deviate. Lab tests are performed on a sample of products to prove the design.

I'm not aware of any LEGAL requirement to perform any specific tests during production for LVD products? I know of lots of options as most brands have their own set of QA procedures and product sampling tests (ISO or otherwise), some are great, others are, well, lets say designed to speed up production IME. Anyone that has had to deal with product recalls and performed root cause analysis will know how big batches can escape the "production controls" you mention! - All I'm saying is even "big brand" products could be "carp" and just because something has been made in China, doesn't automatically equal "unsafe" / "carp" products as they could well come out of the same factories with the same controls as the "big brand" products!

Sponsored Links
Are there any rubber grommets protecting the wires entering the back box from within the wall? It's difficult to see from your picture.

I ask because I have discovered that more than one of our back boxes did not have any (they do now), presumably because the previous owner of our house was called Roger (the bodger).

And also, is that earth wire connected to the back box in any way? Again, I can't see from the picture.

Good suggestions JBR, the earth is connected to the back box via a terminal in the corner, I will double check the wires entering the box and perform some continuity tests when I get a chance (currently the switch is taped over so no-one touches it).

I'm not aware of any LEGAL requirement to perform any specific tests during production for LVD products?
If you're going to claim compliance with a standard, you must perform the routine tests that are specified in that standard, particularly if you're going to claim compliance with a Directive by using a presumption of conformity derived from a harmonised standard. The LVD does have a module on production control.

I've had to deal with a product recall - only one, as we had robust production control. Even then, it was because a product conformed to the standard but could fail to danger under foreseeable abuse in the field. (Other divisions of my company had recalls following a shift in production to a different country, where controls were not so rigorous.) However, many of the customer complaints we received turned out to be illicit copies of our products from Chinese and Indian copiers.

I do agree that some big brands have had production control problems, and also that some Chinese factories can produce excellent products. Unfortunately many don't.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who uses unseasoned wood to make electrical accessories is definitely a bodger.

f6e76e_35c020622e9b44a9a59b83e5afc2c3b8.jpg

Just to finish the story....

I purchased a MK two gang switch to replace the existing Voltex. Upon closer inspection the Voltex switch which caused a shock was wobbling and clearly broken internally, which is highly likely the cause. For avoidance of doubt, I double checked the continuity of the earthing and between the cables and back box which was all okay.

Thanks for your comments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back