2 Lights 2 switches 2 many wires .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a light problem and a challenge ....

I have a 2 way 1 gang each with a kitchen light working on a Yellow to (COM) and BLK to (L1) working fine ...

but the understairs lamp on the 2nd switch ( same box) has a Red, Blk, Blue and a brown loop. The lamp it supplies just has BLK and RED.

I'm guessing (without sleeves) the
Red is switched live (should be in COM with the brown loop to the other COM in the first switch
BLK is neutral and should be in L1
but that still leaves the BLUE ? should that be in the first switch with the switched live ?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
It's my guess that the red, yellow and blue wires are on from one cable and therefore should go into one side of the switch, usually found on a two-way switch. That leaves black and brown, which may be two single cables. You need a digital multi-meter to do continuity checks to sort out out which cable belongs where.
If you can get some pics. it would help.

OK, The neutrals should be bundled according to the wiki, so I'll take Blk (neutral ?) out of L1 keeping the COMs live with the brown loop I'll put red into 1L instead that still leaves me Blue and Blk which I'm now guessing are both neutrals and should be put in block together behind the switch.

Any better ?

PS I don't know what would happen ?

Sponsored Links
Neutrals never used in switches
Live usally goes to COM
Switched Live (Black) red collar goes to live in lamp So a switch is just interupting a live feed in and out to the lamp hence the collar system.

Pre 1977 colour system has Live as Red, Yellow and Blue depending on phase level and earth as dark green.

So in this senario, the blue is actually a phase (meaning active live L3) live and can be blocked away along with the neutral. But why is the Yellow (L2) being used in COM on first switch looped via a 1inch brown loop to the second COM if a phase 2 Blue live is available ? I guess its a different type of Live not required bit how did it end up in the box ?

OK, The neutrals should be bundled according to the wiki, so I'll take Blk (neutral ?) out of L1 keeping the COMs live with the brown loop I'll put red into 1L instead that still leaves me Blue and Blk which I'm now guessing are both neutrals and should be put in block together behind the switch.

Any better ?
Stop guessing, and start learning about how lighting circuits are wired - there's info in the Wiki, the For Reference section and in a number of wiring and general DIY books. Chances are that there are no neutral wires at your switches. And guessing can be fatal - get some test equipment.

PS I don't know what would happen ?
If that really is true then you have so much to learn that you should get an electrician to sort out whatever problem you have right now, as you've got a way to go before you'll be safe to DIY....

Good point but that is what I'm trying to do. This is what the wiki's say for two lamps (5th image from bottom).

One switch is untouched and works fine on Yellow on com and L1 on Red.

Second switch has red, black, blue with brown loop which according to the wiki goes between com to supply live to the second switch. That leaves a red, black and a blue. One of which is a switched live and the other go to a terminal block.

Can a wrongly wired switch kill if the power is removed to wire it reaffixed and then power applied. The switch is insulated, the light might not work or blow a fuse.

I take your point it is complicated and requires a lot of learning for understanding a single switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back