2 pump's

picasso would i be right in thinking that you wire one pump and switched live into one side and on the other side you connect the other pump and the 2 s/l

no you need three relays, the orange from the zone valves switches the relays, I think your getting a bit confused with the wiring, maybe time to let a heating bod do the wiring for you ?

Sponsored Links
one last thought, if you can move the pump to a point before it splits off for the conservatory, you will only need one pump and would certainly simplify your wiring.

sorry having trouble with laptop so haven't been on much.
the simplest way to explain in series / parallel

series: both pumps are in 1 pipe run
parallel each pump is on a seperate pipe (i:e after a common tee) if they are not equal length and / or the pumps are different sizes you may get in the smaller pump a stall or even reverse flow

yes i was just thinking that as it seems a lot more complicated with the relays
it would be simple to move the 1 pump to the attic
but if i was to get the 3 relays the orange wire goes in and the boiler and pump go in as well??

Sponsored Links
Don't get carried away!

All you need is three 2 port valves - an S Plan Plus - see an earlier post. I can't see that you need a second pump, and certainly no relays.

If you wanted to use the relays,(my error you would only need 2) you would need to connect them like this,

The orange from zone valve one (conservatory ?) would go to pump 1 and to relay 1, the relay needs to be connected to a neutral , when the orange becomes live, the relay switches on (as does the pump) and a permanent live connected to the relay is switched to bring on the boiler,

the second relay in connected up exactly the same using pump 2 and the zone valves orange wires from dhw/central heating,

if you saw this as a wiring diagram it is very straight forward, not so easy to explain ;)

If you wanted to use the relays,(my error you would only need 2) you would need to connect them like this,

The orange from zone valve one (conservatory ?) would go to pump 1 and to relay 1, the relay needs to be connected to a neutral , when the orange becomes live, the relay switches on (as does the pump) and a permanent live connected to the relay is switched to bring on the boiler,

the second relay in connected up exactly the same using pump 2 and the zone valves orange wires from dhw/central heating,

if you saw this as a wiring diagram it is very straight forward, not so easy to explain ;)

You can actually do this using only one relay ;)
getting ready to go out now but will post answer later
so consider it A small test till I get back
clue..... you will need at least a single pole changeover relay

Matt

nope I cant figure out how to do it with one relay,interested to see how its done ;)

matt1e look forward to seeing your solution
picasso spoke to a company in Dublin today that sell relays and there are very few over here
there reply was that i should send them the h37xl wiring diagram and also describe to them exactly what i wanted to acheive with the 2 relays and the 2 pumps so that they can design a diagram around the horstmann diagram including the 2 relays and 2 pumps

You do not need any relays! Do it as an S Plan Plus. Simple.

You do not need any relays! Do it as an S Plan Plus. Simple.

Hi all
mysteryman you cant do it as s plan plus as you need to have a common boiler on signal but independant pump control

its late and I haven't time to struggle with paint to do a diagram but will do tomorrow, but for now I will explain best I can and I'm sure a lot will understand.
this is for a system as per the ops (a 230v fired and common pump/ boiler demand connection)

1) take out the boiler demand connection from terminal 12 of the wiring centre and connect it to the common of a single pole relay
2) connect the normally closed terminal of the relay back to terminal 12 of the wiring centre
3) connect the orange of the new zone valve to live terminal of the new pump and the normally open contact of the relay
4) put a link from the normally open contact to the coil of the relay
note... the NO and NC connections from the zones can be interchanged, to save on relay life I would connect the most heavily used zone to NC (de-energised state)
done
mentions of neutral connections and earth connections have been omited for clarity!!
this system keeps pump connections seperate but will ensure boiler demand as required, if anyone more computer savvy wants to post a diagram to save me doing it please do
not really got a name for this system (M plan? :) ) but had to come up with it once onsite when I was miles from anywhere and only one 230v relay in the van
was different problem that time but the principles the same

Matt

just one question on this matt1e, can you have both zones on at the same time? might be a bit clearer with a diagram.
cheers picasso

think I sussed it ;) when the relay switches over from nc to no the pump is still running from the zv but the boiler is switched from no, clever or what :!:

just one question on this matt1e, can you have both zones on at the same time? might be a bit clearer with a diagram.
cheers picasso

think I sussed it ;) when the relay switches over from nc to no the pump is still running from the zv but the boiler is switched from no, clever or what :!:

you've got it mate! :)

Matt

no stands for normally open and nc normally closed, it means the contacts are in this position when the relay is unenergised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back