2 questions...

I agree Pensdown, instead of ± ½ºC control it would increase to ±3ºC.
I was just pointing out to Mickey_A a thermostat can work without
a neutral unlike normal appliances.

Sponsored Links
LionIrons said:
a thermostat can work without a neutral unlike normal appliances.
A three wire room stat, which, BTW, isn't an "appliance", cannot work as designed when the neutral isn't connected.

Are drifting away from the subject here chaps ! ?

Wireless stats.... :idea: ......(Thats all I have to say)

As part of the original subject said:
1. A mains operated room thermostat requires three conductors to enable it to operate correctly. Can you connect the thermostat to an existing two core and cpc cable?
Then said:
Are drifting away from the subject here chaps ! ?
Seems a little unlikely. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can you get a 2 wire thermostat which doesn't need a neutral? At the end of the day the deadband on a thermostat is going to be governed by the mechanical movement of say a bi-metalic strip etc, if they can fine tune this then the deadband can be reduced.

As we all know you can get a 2 wire stat but the course work question would then be:

A mains operated room thermostat requires 2 conductors to enable it to operate correctly. Can you you connect the thermostat to an existing two core and cpc cable where some plonker has cut off the brown core so short it can't be used?

Not quite the same. :LOL:

I do hope Mikey_A "gets there in the end" because that is a frightening question from someone on an electrical course.

Just to let you know i answered 'NO' to the stat question. I think that 'Taylortwocities' was right. I think they are making sure i don't consider using the CPC as a live conductor.

I'll let you know if i was right.

Cheers for all your thoughts on the subject.

Mike ;)

By the way this is only part of Lesson 1. God help me further on in the course! :LOL:

softus

I thought that the original question was relating to the use of a c.p.c as a live conductor, not about the characteristics of thermostats..

Maybe you should read the post again before you post any comments, as you have not added anything of any worth to this post.

sparky40 said:
Softus.....

Maybe you should read the post again before you post any comments, as you have not added anything of any worth to this post.

I thought that Softus saying that a thermostat which requires a neutral connection and will not work properly without one was of value, especially to those of us that don't work with them.

Seems to be a bit of irascibility around today.

sparky40 said:
I thought that the original question was relating to the use of a c.p.c as a live conductor, not about the characteristics of thermostats.
You only thought that it was? I'm certain of it. :rolleyes:

I corrected an error originally made by LionIrons, and later compounded by others.

To leave the error uncorrected would represent a risk of misleading casual readers who know no better. So if you think that the correction was of no value then, to be blunt, you must be a f*ckwit.

Seems to be a lot of irascibility around today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back