thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to all
i am training to become an electrican and are studying hard but i have come very much stuck i wonder if anyone can help me
the question is if a room thermostat requires 3 conductors to operate correctly can you connect the thermostat to a 2 core and cpc cable
many thanx to anyone who can help me

Sponsored Links
You Must not use a cpc as a live conductor you have to use a 3core and earth cable if the thermostat requires live, switched live and neutral

some thermostats don't require a neural just live and switch live

some thermostats have a little heater thing not sure of its proper name but it makes the stat more sensitive to the temperature in the room
this requires a live and a neutral
hence thats why you need a neutral in some stats

G.T.S:cool:

thanx gaz for your help i was thinking along them lines but i was unsure thanx for your time

Sponsored Links
Not nice, but they get away with using the earth for fucntional purposes in electronic equipment containing filters, surely they could design stats that work the same way to get you out of sticky situations?

Anticipator room stats should be confined to museums......in display cabinets :)

You can use the 2-core cable, but then you can't connect the neutral. That will mean that the accelerator heater in the thermostat won't work.

If you are using the thermostat to control fast-acting heaters, such as fan heaters, you'll get unacceptable temperature fluctuations. On the other hand if you are controlling something like floorwarming, which heats up slowly because of the high thermal capacity, then you're better off without an accelerator heater connected. You might be controlling something in between, where the lack of acceleration is acceptable.

It would be better, however, to install a modern thermostat that dosn't need an accelerator heater.

Not nice, but they get away with using the earth for fucntional purposes in electronic equipment containing filters, surely they could design stats that work the same way to get you out of sticky situations?

Get an electronic type which also has a battery ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back