2 spurs from a junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently connected a junction box in the ring main and have taken a spur with a double socket direct from the junction box. I would also like to take a power supply from the same junction box to feed my security light outside. I have looked at several posts and most of them imply that it's ok to take several spurs from a JB as long as you fit a FCU.

Could you please confirm what a FCU and what is the best cable to use for the outside light

Thanks

:D

Sponsored Links
Plugwash

Thanks for your reply. :D

How many spurs can I safely take from the FCU

Cheers

from the output of the FCU as many as you can reasonablly fit in the terminals/box

Sponsored Links
mjjmcguire has a spur of the junction box for a double socket and is going to spur for a second time to a FCU for a light.

Thought you should keep the socket and light circuit seperate or is it ok if a FCU is used? Just wondering!

there is no problem with talking lights of the ring as long as they are fused down

i wouldn't do it for interioro lighting in a rewire because its not ideal to have indoor lights on rcd

but for an outside light (which is high power and non critical) or for the odd indoor light its fine

Plugwash

Once again ta

I will connect the FCU to the JB with 2.5mm cable an then connect the new socket to the FCU and connect the light to the FCU also.

Can I then spur off again from the new spur I have taken from the FCU, would this be OK because the FCU would protect all spurs

if you do that you will need to use a FCU with a 13A fuse to protect all your new stuff

then another fcu downstream of it with a 3A fuse for the light

Ok

So I will do the following

Run 2.5mm cable from the JB to a 13 amp FCU and then take a spur from this with a double socket.

I will also run 2.5mm cable to a 3 amp FCU and the run 1.5mm cable to the outside light

This will mean that I can then take a spur from the double sockets at a later date

This sound OK

Cheers :D

plugwash said:
http://www.electricalshop.net/cgi/sh000001.pl?ACTINIC_REFERRER=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eelectricalshop%2enet%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eelectricalshop%2enet%2facatalog%2fCatalogue_%2ehtml&WD=unit%20connection%20fused&PREVQUERY=PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%26SS%3dfused%2bconnection%2bunit%26ACTION%2ex%3d0%26ACTION%2ey%3d0%26ACTION%3dSearch&PN=Connection_Units__Spurs_%2ehtml%23a_23BS20#a_23BS20
Don't use them - their prices are insanely high...

compared to what?

they are a lot cheaper than TLC on swa

show me one of their prices and a price from another online retailer (with proper online catalogue) that is significantly cheaper

Just thought.

Is the FCU easy to connect.

Never seen the inside of one and unsure, is it the same a connecting a new socket red-red, etc

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back