2 way light switch - cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm installing a new light switch in the living room and it is linked to the one in the back room.

I've whipped off the old switch and noted which wires control each switch, but the linking cables seem to be 2 core with no earth, where as, the diagram on this website show's the linking cable with 3 core and earth.

so, i propose to wire the live on the link cable to 'c' and the neutral to 'l2'

Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks

**Edit: The link cable actually has 1 core and earth, so i presume this goes to the 'c'??? :oops:

Sponsored Links
if the link between the 2 switches is 1C+E you need to connect this to C, and your drop wire which should be 2C+E, to L1 and L2.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
You don't connect neutral to the switch...
DIYers do - neutral is their word for "switched live". Neutral rolls off the tongue more easily. :LOL:

I have a problem :(

I've wired everything up and the results are confusing!
I've put the mains cable Live to 'L1' and neutral to 'L2' and the link cable to 'c' on each switch (3 in total), yet, only one of the switches works :confused:

If i go in the back room, the link switch will operate the lights, so i must have done something right :rolleyes:

Crafty said:
ricicle said:
Crafty said:
DIYers do - neutral is their word for "switched live". Neutral rolls off the tongue more easily. :LOL:

You're a DIYer aren't you Crafty? :LOL:

Sorry, I should have said "amateur DIYers" ;) :LOL:

Amateur just means they are not being paid for it.

I can be a fully qualified sparks and still be an amateur if the only work I happen to do now is in my own house for no money.

I can also be unqualified amateur and have a better understanding and more experience than a recently qualified professional sparks.

Generalisations are generally wrong :)

davelx said:
I can also be unqualified amateur and have a better understanding and more experience than a recently qualified professional sparks.

Generalisations are generally wrong :)

How true,

How often is a qualification given for knowing the rules but not having any idea of the reasons for the rules being set ? In my opinion too often.

Whih is fine for all the scenarios that the rule writers were aware of and took into account. What happens to the "know the rules" people when the sceanario is not covered by the rules. Common sense and knowledge of basic principles is needed. Some "qualified" people do not have those attributes but some amateurs do have both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back