2-way wiring for one way switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am replacing my dining room light which is controlled by a single switch. Upon starting to remove the old light I noticed that the wiring coming out of the ceiling was for a two switch (i.e. 4 wires: red, yellow, blue and green/yellow). The light I bought has a place to attach three wires (live-red, neutral-blue and earth-green/yellow). My question is what should I due with the fourth wire coming out of the ceiling?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The light I am replacing has a place for attaching all four wires (it is your basic simple white fixing with a small round box that attaches to the ceiling, a wire that hangs down about 15cm, and then the socket for the bulb.)

Sponsored Links
The light switch currently only controls the one light I am replacing (switch is remaining only the light fixture is being changed). I bought the house 10 months ago so do not know if it previously controlled two lights. The previous owner did nothing to the house. However the person he bought it from had gutted the house and completely redone it. My guess is that the wiring was redone during this extensive remodel - but I cannot be sure.

The light switch (I'll call it switch A) controlling the fixture I am replacing has only a standard red and black wire coming into it. There is another light switch (Switch B) next to switch A (it is part of a double switch - one switch (A) controls the dining room light I am replacing and the other switch (B) controls the living room lights). Switch B for the living room is part of a two way switch for the living room (and has four wires coming into it.) I do not know if this info about the adjacent switch is relevant or not.

I have not removed the old light fixture and replaced it yet because I was not sure what to do with the extra wire. Before I started "experimenting" I wanted to get some advice from people on this forum who are much more knowledgable than me. Would the best thing to do be to just hook up the new light fixture: connecting the live, neutral and ground and see if the new fixture functions fine (and if it does just place a wire nut over the fourth wire)?

The live and neutral for the new light would be the wires presently connected to the 15 cm flex to the existing lampholder,

the earth to the new light is the g/y

If the other wire is sealed off and unused now, then with the new light it must also be sealed off and unused.

If one or more wires from the ceiling are currently connected together, these must also be connected together in the new fitting.

do a drawing first of the existing colours and make sure the supply is OFF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back