20 Metre Hot Water Dead Leg! Any Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow has the Bathroom at one end - and the Kitchen / Utility at the other :eek:
I have a 20 metre dead leg one way or the other. Any suggestions as to what might be a possible solution? I was thinking of installing a instantaneous gas water heater in a cupboard adjacent to the bathroom and a combi installed in the Utility.
20 metres really is too much for a dead leg isn't it :eek:

M.

Sponsored Links
chop it and cap it as close to the main pipe as possible would be the only solution if you don`t want any future probs with new boiler.

I have a 20 metre dead leg one way or the other.
A dead leg is a segment of pipework containing stagnant water.

Surely what you have is simply a long pipe run that delays the distribution of hot water and wastes heat energy.

Am I right?

If so, your idea is a solution, but it sounds like an expensive one.

An alternative is a secondary loop of stored hot water, which would reduce the delay to almost nothing. If this was well insulated then the heat loss could be lower than you currently have.

Which will definitely be more expensive, you are on about a secondary return are you not? Hope it`s a big combi/ unvented cylinder :LOL: Poster, what is your set up now?

Sponsored Links
I have a 20 metre dead leg one way or the other.
A dead leg is a segment of pipework containing stagnant water.

Surely what you have is simply a long pipe run that delays the distribution of hot water and wastes heat energy.

Am I right?

If so, your idea is a solution, but it sounds like an expensive one.

An alternative is a secondary loop of stored hot water, which would reduce the delay to almost nothing. If this was well insulated then the heat loss could be lower than you currently have.

Ooops - sorry I thought that was the terminology! Yes I have a 20 metre hot water run one way or the other.

I don't have any suitable location part or midway to install the boiler either. The loft has trussed rafters with a very shallow pitch hence it too is unsuitable.

The water pressure here is amazingly good. I wondered therefore if a 10mm or 12mm HW pipe to the Bathroom from a Combi would be acceptable? The Bathroom is actually a Shower Room with just a Shower / Basin / Loo and no Bath.

Which will definitely be more expensive, you are on about a secondary return are you not?
No, a secondary loop.

In my universe such an installation would be a lot cheaper a new combi and a new gas water heater.

In my universe such an installation would be a lot cheaper a new combi and a new gas water heater.

What is this secondary loop? I only know of a pumped system known as an unvented cylinder offering these capabilities. If it`s possible on a 20 metre run via a combi I`m all ears. I mean that seriously, I mustn`t be up to date.

What is this secondary loop?
It's a loop of secondary water pumped from, and returning to, a cylinder.

I only know of a pumped system known as an unvented cylinder offering these capabilities. If it`s possible on a 20 metre run via a combi I`m all ears.
It can be a vented or an unvented cylinder - it doesn't make any difference to the princple. The only expensive bit is the bronze pump, but if you think it's cheaper to get a combi then you'll need a lot more than a coating of ears.

I mustn`t be up to date.
Well, they've been around for ever, so unless you've been living in the deepest Amazonian rain forest I don't see how you can have missed them.

some combi manufacturers alow secondary return fed bak into the cold main.Have to fit EV,PRV and relief though due to the 15litre rules.Return joins cold main after the safety set. :rolleyes:

appolagies its back inot the hot water side not the cold on the one i have in mind. :oops:

Well, they've been around for ever, so unless you've been living in the deepest Amazonian rain forest I don't see how you can have missed them

Can be done with a combi can it? his cheapest option is to install a secondary loop is it? His initial idea sounds good, if you know of a way of installing a combi with a pumped secondary loop let us all know. Thanks.

some combi manufacturers alow secondary return fed bak into the cold main.Have to fit EV,PRV and relief though due to the 15litre rules.Return joins cold main after the safety set. :rolleyes:

A combi struggles to supply hot water to more than one outlet. instead of rollimg your eyes how about giving a clue.

if we're splitting hairs cos they've been around so long;then it wouldnt be pumped from the cylinder and returning it would be a pumped return. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back