2003 CITROEN DISPATCH WONT RUN. WHY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to internet forum's. but hopefully someone out there can help me sort out this Citroen Dispatch.
I loaned it to my brother who tells me he was driving along at 35 mph went over a slight hill on a main road and the engine cut out he rolled to a stop, tried to start it. no joy it wouldn't start. I have dragged it home tried to start on the way (with the key and towing it ) it spins over fine but not firing up it seems like a fuel fault due to everything else seeming to be as normal.
I believe it has the 2.0 hdi engine and only thing I noticed was prior to breaking down when doing about 50 - 60 mph there was a slight flat spot which I just used to lift my foot off and it went. These symptoms are very similar to problem I had with a 206 hdi (2001) Which used to stop without notice but start again about five min later but I would have to crank it over for 2-3 mins sometimes.
So if anyone out there has any experienced this problem,and can maybe offer a solution. please let me know I would be greatful :?:

Sponsored Links
Fuel filter change first, then head for the electric fuel pump (and or power supply to) in the tank.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for prompt reply will try fuel filter tomorrow! Keep :)

Sponsored Links
Simple stuff first.

Take the fuel filler cap off. I kid you not !

The breather gets blocked and causes a vacuum in the fuel tank which starves the engine of fuel.

I had this happen to me in a 3.0s Capri. I had driven some friends to Shrewsbury (from Peterborough) and the engine died. It would turn over like there was no compression which made me assume that the fibre cam cog had stripped some teeth.

My brother came out and towed me all the way home. I stripped the front off the engine to find nothing wrong ..WTF ???

I had to sit down and think "Do the basics"

Is there a Spark ? --- Yes
Is there fuel ? -- I'd only just filled up so yes - But is enough getting to the carbs ? Dunno.

Is there compression ? - Yes

Must be fuel

So I pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked her over... dribbles came out. For some reason I took the fuel cap off and was greeted with the sound of a vacuum equalising.

Cranks car over and it started immediately !!

This has subsequently happened to our lorry fridge trailers and I've sussed it for the drivers/spannermen !

Give it a shot.

Back