2004 GloWorm 30 Cxi leaking from Main Heat Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening gentlemen,

Was just called out to a Glowworm 30 Cxi which was leaking water. The water is leaking out of the main heat exchanger. The owner said that he has also had problems with water leaking out of the condensate trap.

The boiler is only a couple of months out of warranty so i told him to contact the manufacturer first to see if they would sort him out (Im only new to the game and want to develop a name as a decent guy!!!!)

Anyway do anyone know the part number for this component and how much i should expect to pay?? Is this a relatively straighforward changeover and is there anything to look out for.

The guy had someone out who quoted him £400 for the heat exchanger and £300 to change. Basically tried to sell him a new boiler.

Amy help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Grill

Sponsored Links
Which bit of the heat exchanger is the water coming out off.

Is the pressure dropping?

Are you sure its not the condensate backing up.

Problem you will have trying to get new heat exchanger foc from glow worm is that they will probably want to take a water sample. if any probs with this they will blame faulty install/flush and walk away :rolleyes:

For future reference I would suggest that you choose which boiler manufacturer to use and stick to them keeping in contact with your local rep and let him know how many you fit etc. This way you will hopefully get favorable treatment from them if problems develop later ;)

To be honest i only had a breif glance at it tonight as i wa sin a hurry. Im really going on what the other said who was called out to see it.

Dont shout at me too loud!!!!

Grill

Sponsored Links
(Im only new to the game and want to develop a name as a decent guy!!!!)

excellent attitude.

To be honest i only had a breif glance at it tonight as i wa sin a hurry

You won't get a name as a"decent guy" by just having a brief glance.

Never go on what someone else has said, be your own man.

If you are not sure you can sort the job, don't do it.

That said, if it is the heat exchanger its a doddle to do.

Don't forget all the correct seals and i am assuming you have a FGA to make sure its set up correctly afterwards.

Cheers for coming back to me scat man. I thought i had made the ultimate forum error by saying i hadnt looked at it properly.

Yeah i have all the tools etc and an FGA. Do you need to buy a set of new seals or can you use the old ones??? Probably better to replace im guessing.

Have you any idea about the part number for the HEAT exchanger and the seals. I checked the MIs but it only gives the part number for the DHW heat exchanger.

Thanks again

Grill

heat ex 801837
heat ex seal 801615
combustion door seal 801635

Go and have a proper look at the job before doing owt else.

Cheers for all that mate. Very much appreciated. Ill go round tommorrow and suss it all out. Where did you find out those codes by the way??/ Would be useful for future reference.

It sounds as if the condensate unit has been vacking up as well as he said taht water had been leaking out of it. Is this a common problem with these boilers and how do you fix it??

Ill buy you a pint of propoer guiness the next time your in Belfast!!!!!

Grill.

Try here for parts info

http://www.partsarena.net/gas/catalogs/

The condensate trap is a problem...the float inside has been re designed.

The float sticks inside the trap and the condensate backs up and comes out of the bottom of the heat exchanger.

Also " as already said" the seal at the back of the heat exchanger is suspect as well

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that i got the heat exchanger stuck in and sorted out.

Cheers for the advice on changing the heat exchanger door seals as when i screwed it back on fumes/water were spilling out the bottom of the door. The new seals i put in seemed to be alot bulkier than the old ones. Would i be right in saying that they have beefed these up due to a design flaw??

I also had a conscience problem thinking that this was were the water was coming from but i filled the heat exchanger up when i got home and it was leaking.

Also the Central heating drain point on the boiler didn't look the same as in the MIs so i had to bleed the system through the PRV. Does anyone know if the MI is wrong or could i not see the wood for the trees??

Thanks again guys!!!!!

Grill

When you are looking in at it (front on) was on the left hand side down towards the bottom in towards the middle of the Heat exchanger.

Common place or a freakish Heat exchanger?

Grill

i have a similar issue with my boiler same age same make etc.

how much of a job is it to replace a heat exchanger?
Ive been advised that replacing the whole boiler was more cost effective

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back