22mm pipe bending problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tried bending some copper pipe into 90 degree bends using a spring but it seems to bulge in the inside and then splits on the outside. The first one i tried bending round my knee, the second one I bent around a telegraph pole in case i was using too short a radius.

Any ideas what's wrong? Is it my technique, the spring or the copper?

I only needed to do 4 bends at 90 degrees as two will be under the floor coming up and two from the ceiling void coming down. I didn't want to solder as i've not done it before and these will be in places where it's hard to check for leaks but i'm thinking on trying it now.

Sponsored Links
You did well to get the spring out. Assuming you're using the correct size spring, your radius is too tight.

You could try annealing the copper :idea: as you might get your blowlamp out . Just warm it up along the length of the bend - not until it goes black ;) then let it cool naturally. . But @ the end of the day- it`s so thin wall nowadays.

Could be the cheap foreign pipe, but normally as Dex said you are trying to pull the bend too tight.
Move the pipe as you bend it and don't try bending in the same place right round. Slightly overbend then straighten back to 90 deg will help the spring pull out. As Nige said giving it a heat beforehand might help. The copper will soften.

Sponsored Links
Could also just put your pipe in the car and run around to a local plumber and ask him to bend 4 tails for you. He would probably do it for a couple of quid.

Some pipe benders like those SF ones are just as bad. You did well bending 22mm round your knee!

tamz' idea is the best by far, if you only need to bend your pipes on a one off :)

Am I missing something here? Surely if you're after a neat job, purchase the proper tools.....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18255...er-15-22mm;jsessionid=E1EL2ZFYK53YICSTHZOSFFI

I know that 3 quid or so is a big difference compared to 30 odd quid for a set of benders, but it sounds as if you are about to waste more than that in poorly bent pieces of copper. Just a thought.......... :)

I use my one of those rarely and almost always get wrinkles in the inside of the bend.

Today I put sets in 2 x 22mm and 2 x 15mm pipes so only about 30deg. bends and all of them wrinkled. :cry:

I assume it is because of the thin walls as said above.

I use my one of those rarely and almost always get wrinkles in the inside of the bend.

Today I put sets in 2 x 22mm and 2 x 15mm pipes so only about 30deg. bends and all of them wrinkled. :cry:

I assume it is because of the thin walls as said above.
More likely that the guide/former is worn and you're rushing it.

To OP its your copper if you have seriously used a telegraph pole because that is know where near a tight bend.

Dont bend it in one movement do it in a series of movements moving the pipe around your knee

These screwfix benders are junk. The guide is not holding the tube tight enough to the former. Maybe the roller is loose but they really are shyte. Slipping a hacksaw blade below the guide will help tighten it up.
Get a Hilmor one and if you do a lot of pipework one of these.

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/...rs-and-guides-for-copper-and-stainless-steel/

You did well to get the spring out. Assuming you're using the correct size spring, your radius is too tight.

the spring is bent now though, might have been when I hulked out in frustration! :eek:

Am I missing something here? Surely if you're after a neat job, purchase the proper tools.....

when i bought the spring i didn't even look for these as I assumed they were expensive, I have read that people have still got creased pipes using the cheap ones though.

Could also just put your pipe in the car and run around to a local plumber and ask him to bend 4 tails for you. He would probably do it for a couple of quid.

my diy ego might not be able to take that! :)

To OP its your copper if you have seriously used a telegraph pole because that is know where near a tight bend.

Dont bend it in one movement do it in a series of movements moving the pipe around your knee

defo used the pole, but did try to do it in one pull.

cheers for all the tips guys, will have a think about what to do next .

I would say its your copper as well, I've pulled thousands of bends (spring and benders) and although I've wrinkled loads of them :oops: I've yet to split one open.

The only time I've encountered wrinkles in bending copper pipe is if I've bent the pipe too quickly. The main cause for wrinkling in pipes is if the guide / former is too loose. I've used the SF ones, Draper, Rothenberg, and the only issue I've had with any of them, is the SF one's needed a bit more effort to achieve the same outcome. The OP was after a decent way of bending pipes, I guess at a relatively low cost. So posting a picture of a 300 quid bending machine, although very impressive, is probably not what he was after. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back