2330 Qualification

JP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All opinions would be more than welcome.

I am half way through the C & G 2330 (2360 replacement) Part 1, I enjoy the course and wish to continue. However I'm doing the course in the evening and would like to do some paid electrical work during the day.

The college where I'm studying are offering a "one week fast track, get qualified for Part P" course, designed for kitchen fitters etc.

In the eyes of the law is there anything stopping me completing domestic electrical installations (if I was to arrange insurance etc.) for other people?

Cheers
JP

Sponsored Links
1 week?

I'd love to see the syllabus..

But to answer your Q - as long as whatever qualification that course gets you is acceptable to the organisers of the Competent Persons scheme of your choice, then you can do what you want.

Don't forget all the fees though, and getting on for a grand's worth of test equipment - have you thought about looking for a job, rather than going solo?

iirc all the niceic want qualification wise for domestic installer is 2381

a lot of places offer that on weekend courses though those courses do expect some regs familarity before hand

the REAL hurdles with getting part P approved are the cost and convinceing the competent person scheme you are competent. the requirement for the 2381 qualification appears to be just designed to keep out the total time wasters.

Thank you for your responses. Ban, Plugwash, you guys seem to talk a lot of sense to me so I'd be keen to hear what you would do if you were in my situation.

My short to medium term aim is to be a self employed domestic electrical installer, I'd like to acheive this ASAP.

In September 2004 I tried to find out what the quickest route to becoming a domestic electrical installer was, and the advice I received at the time was to do the C&G 2360 (2 evenings/week). By April this year I will have completed Part 1.

However I have since learned this is only necessary if I want to do comercial/industrial work aswell as domestic. In the eyes of the law all I have to do is a one week part p course and if I want (I believe this is optional) complete a 12 week 2 hour a week course (16th edition) and this would be enough to satisfy the NICEIC!

If all this is true, as far as the law and qualifications are concerned there doesn't appear to be too many hurdles to get over. Should I pack my 2360 course in now???

Now to the second and presumeably the most important question, how do I go about gaining the necessary practical experience. I have rewired 2 houses but that's all.

Should I try and get a job with an Electrical contractor now?
Would this be possible with no current formal qualifications?
Do any Sparks still work on a Saturday morning that might want some free labour? Would I get the experience I need doing this?
Should I complete the Part p course and then try and get a job with a contractor?
Should I get Part p qualified and then start working for myself immediately and gain experience as I go along?

Cheers
JP

Sponsored Links
JP I've gone the same route as you but am half way through 2360 part 2 (not gonna give up now thats for sure) , I was advised to do this course as it is seen as an alternative by nic to the 2381 & covers a larger scope (boy does it). It's on to c&g 2391 in september if I can find some where that does it in the berks/hants area.
What worries me is when I've got these qualifications how do I do the work required for the experience & assessment by nic & co, I know it's gonna be hard but it's what I want to do so I can pack in the current mundane job.
All the best with the course JP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back