24v dc voltage drop calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
does anybody know how to calculate voltage drop on the following.
120 metres ,load about 800watts,24vdc wind generated. Cable is to be swa underground.
Any help as to formula or calc would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hello
does anybody know how to calculate voltage drop on the following.
120 metres ,load about 800watts,24vdc wind generated. Cable is to be swa underground.
Any help as to formula or calc would be appreciated
Why? If this is a wind turbine, you're probably doubling the cost of it by having it so far away.

mV/A/m x design current x length
I think

Sponsored Links
You need to do exactly what the national grid does, get the voltage stepped up much higher for the transmission lines.

If you can get 24v ac out of the thing then chuck that into a transformer and pull it up to 240v, then things get much much more sensible.

Chivers asked if your numbers were for a 25mm^2 cable.

25mm^2 SWA has a mV/A/m rating of 1.85, whereas your numbers are done with an mV/A/m value of 0.39 which would suggest your numbers are based on a 120mm^2 cable....

Its not that hard to grasp unless i've missed something.

mV/A/m x design current x length
I think

Not quite - its mv x amps x length/1000

So 2c 120 has mv drop of 0.39

0.39 whats? 0.39 mV/A/m that's what. Parameter concerned is the voltage drop rating and the units are mV/A/m. The parameter is NOT called the "mV/A/m rating" , "mV drop" or anything else like that and is not quoted as a simple number.

Check by DIMENSIONS (a technique taught in year 8 maths when I was at school):

mV/A/m x A X m = mV Which is the correct unit for the calculated voltage drop

mV X A X m = milliVoltAmpmetres which is not the unit of voltage drop

Stepping up the voltage before transmission is definately a good idea, even allowing for losses in the transformers the improvement over a hundred metres is worth it.

But it isn't just that simple when you (apparently) have a fixed load of 800 watts and a very variable source of power from zero watts to what ever the generator's maximum safe output is.

If wind energy into generator is below 800 watts then do you shut down the load. If the wind energy is greater than 800 then what do you do with excess output if the generator cannot be regulated.

Do you regulate voltage at the generator output as 24 plus twice known voltage drop along cable ( load sees 24 volts ) or do you measure voltage at the load and send that back to the generator regulator.

FFS.

I was pointing out to chivers that 25mm had a loss figure 5 times higher than your original working, and that your original numbers were on 120mm cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back