25mm cable ???

Sponsored Links
SparrowHawk99";p="3152578 said:
So if I buy expensive florescent bulbs for every room this would satisfy everyone here ?
I'm prepared to pay for part l compliant bulbs, but they would need to be dimmable as I'm having dimmer switches for every room of the house.

There are no dimmers on your parts list only switches!

Dimmers in kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and loft not a good idea. Are you really having dimmers in every room?

winston1";p="3152593 said:
So if I buy expensive florescent bulbs for every room this would satisfy everyone here ?
I'm prepared to pay for part l compliant bulbs, but they would need to be dimmable as I'm having dimmer switches for every room of the house.

There are no dimmers on your parts list only switches!

Dimmers in kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and loft not a good idea. Are you really having dimmers in every room?

Intending to yes, why is this not good ?

Yea are on list : ultimate 1g 2w 400w dimmer

Sponsored Links
So what is the protocol? It's not good to have dimmers now???? Like 99% of the population have in their lounges/bedrooms/kitchens ... suddenly it's not right here ?

So what is the protocol? It's not good to have dimmers now???? Like 99% of the population have in their lounges/bedrooms/kitchens ... suddenly it's not right here ?

I don't think it is anywhere 99%, not even 50%.

But I said
:Dimmers in kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and loft not a good idea. Are you really having dimmers in every room?
In the kitchen you need to see what you are doing, likewise in the other rooms I mentioned which did not include the lounge or bedroom.

I've got a dimmer in my bathroom. The really clever thing about dimmers is that you can turn them up to full when ever you want. Amazing or what :rolleyes:

And so many of my lamps are neither shaped like bulbs nor contain inert gasses or filaments.
Indeed, just like the 'leads' in your pencils don't contain any lead etc.
I don't think this thread is the appropriate place for this discussion.
You're right - but it was a statement, rather than a discussion, and I don't really have anything to add to that statement - unless you wish to 'discuss'!

Kind Regards, John

I've got a dimmer in my bathroom. The really clever thing about dimmers is that you can turn them up to full when ever you want. Amazing or what :rolleyes:
That may possibly be true today. In the earliest days of dimmers, when they used single SCRs rather than triacs (hence only 'half-wave' output) you couldn't get more than 50% (electricity, so less than 50% light).

Kind Regards, John

That may possibly be true today. In the earliest days of dimmers, when they used single SCRs rather than triacs (hence only 'half-wave' output) you couldn't get more than 50% (electricity, so less than 50% light).

Kind Regards, John

Really. All the early dimmers I had in those days had a bridge rectifier before the SCR. Half wave output gives very noticeable flicker.

Really. All the early dimmers I had in those days had a bridge rectifier before the SCR. Half wave output gives very noticeable flicker.
Certainly not all of them - and. yes, they did tend to flicker - not too bad at 'full' output but, understandably, increasingly worse as the degree of dimming increased.

The mechanics aside, do you not remember the days when 'maximum brightness' with a dimmer was appreciably less than would be achieved without a dimmer?

Kind Regards, John

The mechanics aside, do you not remember the days when 'maximum brightness' with a dimmer was appreciably less than would be achieved without a dimmer?

Kind Regards, John

To be quite honest, no. And I first handled dimmers in the early 70s.

To be quite honest, no. And I first handled dimmers in the early 70s.
Interesting. Our experiences (and/or memories!) obviously differ. My experience of dimmers also goes back as far as the early 70s, perhaps a bit further.

Kind Regards, John

Because dimming halogens is a good idea.
Think the word "not" is missing here. But we have been into that before.
We have indeed "been through it before" - but I though we had established that dimming halogens does, in fact, increase their life, but not to the same extent as the life of a non-halogen lamp would be increased if dimmed to the same extent?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back